1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

AAAAHHHHHHHH! Can breath now!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rcreech, Jul 19, 2009.

1. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

Things are slowing down and life is good!

What a spring and early summer!

Usually done by June 15th and this year worked straight through July 16th! :cry:

Life was starting to SUCK! Love the $$$$$ but was needing a break! Still picking up customers (3 since Friday) but just trickling in here and there.

You guys slowing down yet?

2. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

The lawns are getting easier... but it is getting way hotter too. Usually this time of year is good for me, it's hot, but I can taper down my work-load. This year, I had to let my 2 employees go, so I am solo for the rest of the year. I have about 350 fert/spray clients on a 5-6 week schedule, and 48 weekly mow, trim, edge & blow accounts, so I am and will stay busy as ever.

3. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

WOW! You are going to be a busy guy!:dizzy:

4. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

With that much work....why did you have to let your boys go?

That sounds like a lot of work for one man!

5. LawnTamer

It is a lot of work for one man, but it is doable. My wife and I are trying to get out of debt, the whole Dave Ramsey thing, and we have a huge number of late payers this year, to the point where we were having a hard time making payroll, so the options were; A: Use debt to make payroll, and keep paying out the $6-700/week in payroll, or B: Just do all of the work myself, bite the bullet, work 60hr weeks for the next 3 months and hopefully pay off some debt.

It is surprising actually, it really doesn't take me that much more time, and everything is done exactly the way I want it. I do miss the company though.

6. LIBERTYLANDSCAPING

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Good for you! "You're living like no other, so that some day you can live like no other":)

7. LawnTamer

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I hope! Right now, I feel like I'm living like a human workhorse.:laugh:

Great way to lose weight though!

RCreech, good for you to be picking up so many clients in this economy.

8. growingdeeprootsorganicly

growingdeeprootsorganicly LawnSite Senior Member

tamer you the man, how can you keep up with all that work by ur self???

i consider my self pretty dame good but 48 lawns a week solo??? plus 300+ fert accounts
    plus all the side works that comes up???

good luck and don't kill ur self

9. LawnTamer

Most of my accounts are fairly small, about 6k. I have a hand full of big ones. I am really an idiot for keeping the 48 mowing accounts, they take me 2.5 days to do (long days) and I make what I would make off one day doing fert and spray work.

Whoopassonthebluegrass and I are talking about this all the time, if a guy could get 500 or so of these little residential accounts, he could make a great living and dump maintenance, just do spray work, work 4 days/week and have winter off..... assuming he didn't have a ton of debt.

If I was "the man" I'd be smart enough to have never touched mowing.:laugh::laugh:

10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I am waiting for you to call in to do your "we're debt free" scream! If only I had the ambition to use his theories......