AAARRGGGG!!!!!! Frickin' employees...

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by bcg, May 30, 2006.

1. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

One of my guys amanged to break the water main into a customer's house with the walk behind this afternoon. I called a large chain plumber to go fix it, he gets there and doesn't have and can't get the parts to fix it. Finally I've tracked down another one but damnit now I'm going to be spending almost $300 on a job I bill $35 for. Sometimes being the boss REALLY sucks.

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

You sure it wasn't a clean out drain......I've never seen a "water main" that wasn't buried underground.

3. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

The main pipe should be buried and not easily hit with a mower. Is this a trailer park or something ??????? Did it break before it enters the house and/or before the house shut off valve or did you have to shut off the water at the valve near the street ?

4. mike lane lawn care

mike lane lawn care LawnSite Bronze Member

do you mean the valves that are burried at ground or above ground level? please explain.

5. bcg

bcg LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tx

Crappy builder. They run PVC from the meter to the house, attach it to copper to go to the attic and then whatever from there. Right where the water comes into the house, the PVC comes out of the ground right by the wall, goes up 6" or a foot and does a 90 into the copper sticking out of the wall. I know, it's not right but it's what they did and this is a $300k house (which is a lot around here) on a 1/2 acre waterfront lot.

6. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

well check codes and see if the builder took a short cut thats not up to codes and maby hell have to fix it

7. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Dang, what did your employee do? Once in a while I help out a friend of mine when hes running behind....the only problem is that I suck at trimming...I think i have pissed him off pretty good because of my trimming skill, or lack thereof, but i dont think he has ever broke anything because of it :hammerhead: :rolleyes: :laugh:

8. TriplePLandscaping

TriplePLandscaping LawnSite Member

i second the notion on checking the codes. construction runs in my family and that does not sound like the right way to tie into water lines into a house.

9. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

If it's PVC you can fix it yourself. Just shut the water off at the street and put a new section of pipe in with couplers.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Doesn't sound like its to code but then again in Texas I'm sure they don't have to bury the water lines like they have to in the north. Anyway just fix it and bite the bullet.