Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Newby08, Apr 29, 2008.

1. Newby08

Newby08 LawnSite Senior Member

OK, business has taken off! Been open about 3 weeks and already up to about 40 customers and adding about 4 a day plus recieving about another 4 calls a day for estimates. I can barely keep up! It's GREAT... I think.

Now, My organics are all "Hybrids" now, except three. Organics treatments are on the way... do I need the compost and AACT's to have the organic ferts to work or is that an added bonus?

PLEASE tell me that I can throw the processed organic ferts down and they will do their thing with out any added help from teas or microorganisms. I need them to work like how traditional ferts work, throw them down, add water and your good to go. I don't have time or brain power right now to be adding all these other services, not until I can get a handle on everything.

I know this isn't the ORGANIC approach we all want, but again, I have to make money, and I am a one man operation right now trying to hold on with all my strength to keep this monster I have created tame enough to manage.

The Newb
  2. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

Your doing great, pat yourself on the back. Its less inputs overall

Less NPK and a start. I would like to know what granular product you are using though.

You don't have to be at full speed right from the stop sign. you take your foot off the clutch and add a little gas and ease away. All things come in time. Do what you can handle right now, the lawns will be fine
  3. GreenthumbGA

GreenthumbGA LawnSite Member

I was just thinking about you today newbie. Didn't you change your name to deeply green or something?

I figured that you had gotten busy with putting you hand to all that you were talking about.

Hadn't seen the update to how things were going. I guess I see it now.
  4. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

busy does not describe it.
  5. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

ICT, what product are you talking about in your other post? I'm not using a granular just yet, I need to know that it will break down without having to have high microorganism rates to break it down.
  6. TMGL&L

TMGL&L LawnSite Member

One of the best lessons I learned over the past couple of years is how to turn business down.

Thank them for the oppurtunity and say you have to decline the work... they'll respect that you don't sacrifice qaulity for quantity. If I were a customer and I was looking for quality, I would search for the guy thats in high demand.

...Just a thought.
  7. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

does the sign read,
    licensed applicator
    for organic lawn care

we ran an ad to get some help, 25 calls from new customers, 3 applicants
  8. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I would agree with treegal1 in that, if you can get someone to spray for you or apply compost for you, that would be best.
    Have them sub-contract for you, rather than hire as an employee. That way he/she is interested in succeeding on their own. Employees could care less.

I am putting down compost at this time and Milorganite. For Memorial weekend.

Raw meals need proper bio breakdown to release/cycle their nutrients. (compost or tea provides the bio) - but they will NOT work as quickly as NPK. Depending on the weather I have heard 4 to 6 weeks.
    Your soils may already have sufficient bio to get things going. good luck.
  9. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

We have just released a new product called 1-2-3 NPP, Natural Plant Protector it is a natural fungicide, its so safe that I actually give it to my old dog on his food every morning. People use it all of the time to help restore cartiledge.

When you use it as a spray at 500PPM it hydrolyzes fungi on contact (turns it to water, melts it if you will). I have a landscape company doing trials on take all patch in South Carolina right now.

It is registered with EPA as a bio-pesticide for nematodes, it elicits a response from the bacillus (bacteria) that coat the root of turf and makes an enzyme that is lethal to nematodes and grubs. If they get near the root their goners. It would be like pouring acid on your hand it basically melts their exoskelton
    Here is a picture of a rose bush with black spot, see the paper colored areas on the leaf? It hydrolyzed the black spot on the leaf and produces an immune response in the plant, one week after spraying this rose bush this thing is growing like mad.

rose bush 1.jpg
  10. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

hey bill, we do trials, we have just finished a trial for pine bettles.

nature, what it gives us is endless.