AASHTO

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Guido, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

HUH???

Probobly an association or something, but stupid ? or not: What the hell does this mean???

I think Stonehenge had it in one of his posts. Thanks for putting up with me!

2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials. They make a manual called the Design of Pavement Structures. As interesting as any engineering text. so take your no-doze before reading. Much technical data on rigid and flexible pavements.

3. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

Flexible pavement? Is that the same pavement you can use a footing strecher on? LOL
    Jim L

4. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Actually, brick pavements are considered flexible pavements, when laid over a granular base. They call it that because it is able to move with freeze-thaw and still maintain structural integrity. A rigid pavement moving with freeze-thaw means cracks, or failure.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Okay, I knew the difference between rigid and flexable, but I didn't know what the damn acronym meant! :)

I do now, and I'll look it up. Thanks for the help Stone!

6. greens1

greens1 LawnSite Senior Member

I was just joking arround about the flexable pavement. I did not, however know what AASHTO stood for.

Jim L