AB lawn care////walker adjustments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BUSHMASTER, Sep 22, 2000.

1. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

AB i am also iterested in knowing somemore about the adjustments on your walker deck
    that you've found to improve the cut i own a 42"ghs mdg and always looking for ways to improve my quality. please share with us .....

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

My customized 48" deck:
    #1, I cut enough material off the bottom of the deck to bring the blades to with in 1/4 inch above bottom edge on the front and both sides. This increased the air flow.
    #2, I had a friend at a metal fab shop cut a strip of steel, 1/8" thick X 3/4 wide the shape of the deck from one side to the other on a lazor cutter. Weld this flat to the bottom edge of the deck to stop the blow out.
    #3, Weld plates over the side vent holes.
    #4, To reduce the grass from clogging infront of the collection chute I cut the metal plate back to the edge of the collection chute.

I also altered my steering levers. I cut the tops off and drilled and tapped for a swivel joint in each lever. I used a peice of 1 1/2" dia aluminum rod 4" long drilled and tapped to connect to the swivel joints.I now have a round handle to hang on to and just twist my wrist to turn. Its much more comfortable for my arthurits.

3. BUSHMASTER

Cool I have two 42"ghs deck and 2 mulch decks just in case i mess one up nice tips, i'll give them a try...thanks

4. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Gene,
    You speak so highly of Walkers, why would a person have to do all those modificaitons to a mower after spending $$$?

5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Accuratelawn: Walker 48" GHS unit comes closest to meeting my mowing requirements. I am a part time mower and very seldom cut under ideal conditions. The Walker is designed with a shallow deck for cutting a small amount of grass at a time on a regular schedual. With the changes that I have made I can cut 4-6" of grass with out problems. My next challange is to increase the blower volume to handle the larger mass of grass being cut and whitch will alow an increase in mowing speed.

I also have a 62" deck for my large open lawns but at my age and with my arthuritis its not feasible to switch decks. The 62" deck is super for tall heavy grass and changes the feel of machine compleatly. I am in the market for a SD power unit for the 62" deck so I will have the best of both worlds.

6. BUSHMASTER

why? why would you go and buy a viper and spend $5000 more just to make it faster? carzy hu........as tim would say
    " it needs more power aaarrr aaarrrr aaaarrrr.

7. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Wow bushmaster...i'm sorry!I sometimes get too busy to surf the site and must have missed this one some time ago!

Well I figure I had better answer your question.

First as allways have very sharp and balanced blades.

I try to keep the underside of the deck clean.

And here is the best tip I have found!

All walker decks are on an angle....if you stand back and look at your deck you will notice that the front of the deck is about 1/2'' lower than the back.Nothing is wrong with your machine..its just designed that way.If you are haveing problems with your cut just drop both deck pins in the back of the deck by 1.So lets say you cut at 3 holes showing,then have 3 holes showing in the front and 2 at the back.And there is also a little nut and hex bolt at the back frame of the deck near the grease nipples.If you tighten them or adjust them you can improve the cut of the deck.It will basically make the deck more firm and less bouce in the rear.

I hope this helps i'm very sorry I never answerd your question in time!Like I've said before email me at freshcut@mail.com if you have any more questions!

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Adam, you must of had a slow day and did some searching from way back. This thread is old. :)

9. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Ya...I actually went to your links page and was looking at the walker links when I found this......makes you wonder just how much you miss here and there.