1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

ABFA/USC Backflow Testing Certification

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by aquamtic, May 20, 2006.

1. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Well just completed and passed a full week of brutal backflow testing certification. I want to highly recommend this certification which follows University of Southern California procdedures for testing.

Mandatory backflow testing is starting to happen quickly here in our New England states and we as irrigation contractors need to take the respondsabilty to educate the consumer why we install that ugly expensive piece of brass on the side of their house and how important it is to have it checked atleast annually. And of course its a profiting new service not only for our irrigation devices but for all testable backflows around

As for the class- It is very technical and lots of reading and hands on 5 different types of devices. I recommend if anyone looks into it - BE SURE to dedicate a full week of no interuptions of work. Out of 24 guys in the class I saw atleast 10 Master Plumbers fail- These were the guys that were on their cell phones every 5 minutes.
  2. NC_Irrigator

NC_Irrigator LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

ive been testing backflows for years, here in wilson theyre required to be inspected every other year for residential irrigation, every year for commercial irr & domestic

wilson has had a good program for about 10 years now
  3. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

Figured I would throw this thread up to the top-
    Its surprising to not hear any more feedback on this subject
  4. I have been testing since 2001 in South Carolina. In my area a DCVA is required on all irrigation systems. I had been testing about 225 DCVA's annually. All systems with irrigation meter installed after 2001 had been on a annual test. Systems installed before 2001 had been grandfathered in. Now all systems are being tested every 5 years. Last time I checked with the water system we had over 6000 more that are going on-line and will need testing.
  5. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Good thing you are in SC instead of NY. :p
  6. and why would that be?
  7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

No grandfathering, when the codes were tightened to exclude double check valve assemblies, in favor of RPZs - PVB users like me just smiled, since they already met the 'rated for toxic backflow' requirement of the new regional code.
  8. Flow Control

Flow Control LawnSite Bronze Member

9. Ok I understand...remember we are in the south..lol
    irrigation only started getting going big time about 8 years ago here, most systems aroung here are not even 10 years old.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Before the toxic-backflow requirement entered the picture, the double check valve assembly was popular enough for several towns to have ordinances requiring their use. Back then, the backflow risks were often graded as 'high-hazard' or 'low-hazard' and since no one was dropping dead from lawn-sprinkler-backflow, it seemed logical enough to call a lawn sprinkler system a 'low-hazard' risk. Trouble is, no one ever bothered to keep up with the devices' inspections, and it became obvious that they don't remain effective forever. The PVB, and the humbler AVB, at least have the advantage of working on gravity, assuming they were properly located in the first place.