? about an Echo 265T and 280T

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by PLS-Tx, Jul 24, 2008.

1. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Does anyone run this trimmer, if so how do you like it? Also, the 280T, if you have used both which do you like better?

I got a price on both, 265 $319, 280 $379. The dealer told me that they weigh the same, haven't had time to look at the specs to confirm, but if that is true it would seem like the 280 would be a no brainer, more power, same weight.

Just wanted to hear from some of you guys that use Echo.

Also, has anyone used both Echo and Stihl trimmers, if so which one do you prefer and why.

I wanting to get away from Shindy, and I'm trying to decide which way to go. We do have the Stihl 110 edger and 3 of the Stihl 600 blowers and they are great, but it looks like Echo may be the way to go for trimmers with the larger gear box.

Thanks

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got 4 of the new 265T this year. No problems after 3 months but not enough time to evaluate much. I don't like the little air filter maybe the 285 is better. And the stupid dead man device(the lever you have to depress before you can move the throttle) hit the throttle....Need to be off the unit period. They do have adjustments on the carb for both low/hight so that is good. The 265 has plenty of power but I think I would go up to the 285 since it looks more heavy duty.

3. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Thanks for the info.

4. PLS-Tx

from Texas

anyone else use Echo????????????????????

5. MOturkey

MOturkey LawnSite Silver Member

Interesting thread for me, because I have two Echo trimmers, one a 260 and a newer, 261T, which is my primary unit. Lots of power, but am considering buying a real heavy-duty unit because it seems as if a couple or three times every season, I make the mistake of saying "yes" to a job where I'm trying to cut down weeds about the size of small redwoods. :), and would like to have something with lots of torque that can handle heavier line and/or a saw blade attachment.

6. PLS-Tx

from Texas

What is the dif. in the 261T and the new 265T?????

I hope it's not EPA junk.

7. Turf Dawg

Turf Dawg LawnSite Gold Member

I just bought a 280S last Saturday. I do not like the "T" models because of the head speed. This trimmer has good power and runs super smooth. The only thing that is a little gripe would be the new grip and throttle trigger. BTW the 280 is lighter than the 265.

8. tinkz71

tinkz71 LawnSite Member

I have a 265 T and have used it for about 3 years. I love the power and it hasnt given me any trouble. The head speed is one issue if you ever was to use a blade but if your just weed eating it does great. I do alot of property clean ups and it never really does bog much. If I was buying a new one I would still be very pleased with this one. I probably buy the 285 if it has more power just because the type work I do. Hope this helps

9. MortonLawn

MortonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

have you tried the echo 261t trimmer yet?? I was about to buy a 280-t but went with the 261-t. I now run 3 261-t's.......enough said. all i'm saying is please check out the 261-t before you try the other 2. *trucewhiteflag*

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Funny but those units didn't come out in our area until this year:confused: