? About Augusta Golf Course

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Victor, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I recently read that Augusta's groundskeepers totally renovate the golf course every year. The article stated that they use 100% Perennial Rye. Does anyone know why they do this?

2. sandman23

sandman23 LawnSite Member
    from GA

My guess is to keep the course green during the dormant months of Bermuda. Several courses do that around here.

3. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

Because the Masters Tournament is played on bentgrass greens and perennial rye fairways/roughs. The course is only open seven months out of the year and closes shortly after the tournament finishes.
    Just stop and think about it for one second, yes I know the course is in Georgia, however the time of year the tournament occurs precludes the course from having reliable bermudagrass tees, fairways and roughs so the course over seeds in preparation for the tournament.
    There is a lot more that goes on at the National, however as a former employee, a signed confidentiality clause prohibits further disclosure.

4. Victor

Thanks for the explanation Grassguy. That makes sense.

5. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

Over seeding golf courses are very common here on the coast. They are
    overseeding now for winter

6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, it is overseeded, not "renovated." They actually don't play on the bermuda at all. Only rye. The course is closed during the time of bermuda's growth. They even put tarps over the bunkers.

7. Victor

The article stated that the the course was renovated. It stated that every blade of beautiful grass you see each Spring in the Masters tourney, is new Perennial Rye. If they just overseeded the course, that would be a false statement. Since they're using Perennial Rye, it would obviously come back every year, unless a renovation was done.

8. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

The National is overseeded every year. The renovation part comes from specific areas of the course that has experienced growth problems as a result of the property first being a nursery/tree farm.
    The course is ALWAYS under going some type of renovation but one thing that will remain the same is the original shaping of the greens. When the greens were being rebuilt, they were measured/surveyed to with-in ONE FOOT; meaning a grading stake every foot along seven axis, some greens were along thirteen axis.
    The actual overseeding, at least when I was there - and this isn't proprietary information, occurred at 18 lbs per thousand square feet, obviously not all at once, but suffice to say the course is heavily maintained.
    Say what you want about the money that goes into that place each year but the guys know what they are doing.
    One more point, when Fazio oversaw the lengthening of the course, his plans were the result of many years of discussion/revisions and not in response to the longer hitters on the Tour.

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I'll take some good pics next april when I am at the tourney Guys...:)

10. Victor

That's some interesting info guys.