? about Boxwoods

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnkid, Jun 1, 2004.

1. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I just installed a lawn in someone's backyard and they have a dog. Well I also put in a bed but haven't planted anything yet. I was thiking some boxwoods because they are easy to maintain and bring color. Now the thing is, the dog likes eating whatever it sees and the customer wans to make sure the dog doesn;t get sick if it accidently eats one of the leaves on one of the boxwoods. Does anyone know if they would be poisonous.

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I doubt they would be poisionous. DO NOT give any guarantee on anything that you plant in there, based on the dog's fondness of tasting things.....

Dan

3. ShadyTree

ShadyTree LawnSite Member

Boxwood are not poisonius, but when they are wet they smell like cat pee, so make sure your not planting close to where people sit and relax. Maybe look for another option like hollies, There are so many varities that give you different seasonal intrests and i bet the dog wont eat them. And D Felix is right tell them straight up that there is no gaurantee on the plants

4. fishman644

fishman644 LawnSite Member

dont think the dog will eat them after the first bite.

5. Ice_Gargoylle

Ice_Gargoylle LawnSite Member
    from indiana

dogs will pee on them though, dont warranty them.

6. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

These people are paying you to install plants that they know there dog will eat? I wish I could find some idiots like that.

Mac

7. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Plant something with thorns and the dog wont eat it but once.

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Boxwoods are hideous plants anyways...
    But try a holly, they will look nice and the dog should stay away from those as well. Good luck.

9. jajwrigh

jajwrigh LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Martinsville, IN

I think boxwoods look nice...well the ones I get anyways...

10. Big M LawnnSnow

Big M LawnnSnow LawnSite Member

Yup I agree with fishman.
    Barberry will slow that pooch down