? about deck pitch/rake

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, May 13, 2003.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK after some trial and error adjustments I finally got the deck set where it actually cuts at the height that the indicator says. But now the deck pitch/rake is perfectly level. I can only raise the rear of the deck a very little bit now without having the deck hit the frame and fail to lock into the transport position.

How much rake is really needed to reduce the load placed on the engine from the deck? If I remember correctly a lot of you set the deck with 1/4" of pitch. I won't be able to get that much without messing with the front adjustments again to lower the front.

THANKS!

2. an 1/8 will do if that's all you can get, once everything wears in you should get a little more.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I "may" be able to get 1/8" if I put a little tape as a marker, move the deck out of transport, adjust up 1/8" and try to get it back into transport.

The deck has a solid steel rod welded on each side in the rear to act as a stop against the frame to keep it from going too high I guess.

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

1/8 is perfect. It is better to have the front higher than the back. If your deck is perfectly level front to back then you run the risk of beating the tops of the grass as you cut it which will result in brown tips like dull blades.

5. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Envy,

Put bigger tires on the back :p

I just couldn't resist. I don't know how the deck is mounted on a Y/K is there any way to shim the front down or the back up ?

Later
    Z

6. LMAO...bigger tires..........LOL:blob1:

Nelbuts; its the other way around, the back higher than the front.

This way the blades is cutting the grass as you come to it, rather than as you are passing it.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Either increase the rear tire pressure slightly (ie. instead of 13 psi, raise to 15) or on the front casters lower them a bit. They will be fine at like 10 or 11 psi.