1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

? about edgers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Craftybigdog, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Craftybigdog

Craftybigdog LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys I now use a walk behind edger. Well Ive been tosing around buying a stick edger. What is your opinions on the pros and cons of the two and if you were gonna buy a stick edger what would you get? Thanks alot!

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

the one thing nice about stick edgers is that there light and you can carry them with ease, while walkbehind units are big and bulky. the only downside two a handheld edger would be the power difference, use the walkbehind edger to cut overgrown walks etc. use the handheld to maintain them after you cut them in. i eventually will buy a Kees edger

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

All we use is stick edgers. I think they are a lot easier to use and a lot faster. We have never had a problem with them. I use echos but there are many good brands.

4. competitiveimageland

competitiveimageland LawnSite Member

stick edgers are a waste of time if time if you ask me if you want to get an edger ide go with the walkbehind though they are bulky like previously stated you dont need to use the edger every week , i might use mine 'a tanka edger' beautiful machine and light weight once for spring cleanups and maybe two or three time more during the growing season on each property ,for the reason that you are able to keep up with it with the string trimmer, or if you want go for the stick edger , i bought one when stihl first came out with the fs85 with the split shaft and ive probably only ised the edge 3 times at the most , so in my opinion ide go with the walkbehind

5. competitiveimageland

is their a reason why people put their equiptment inventories when they give feedback , are we supposed to or is it just for conversation? anyone?

6. NCSERVICE

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

Stick edgers are the way to go..... people around here edge with every mowing.. really cleans up the appearance of the property. If you have to cut over grown grass off a driveway #1 your not doing your job.. or its a new contract. in which case you use a shovel to clean up and keep it up with a nice light stick edger. mix gas, no oil to check... belts... valves..

7. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I TOTALLY agree!

8. competitiveimageland

tanaka edger . mix gas shaft driven light weight and im telling you ive been in this business for a long time and i just see it as a waste of time to use an edger weekly ,its not cost effective im able to do just fine with keeping up with it with the string trimmer .
    i went through the same thing a few years ago buying the stihl with an edger attachment and all it does is collect dust

9. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Mc Lane walkbehind. I just bought a Mclane walkbehind about a week ago and it works great. The reason I bought a walkbehind over a stick is because the stick doesn't go in such overgrown areas as the walk behind (IOW: the lack power) FWIW Just keep your walk behind it will be a lot easier on you and much more power. Unless you were to just use the walk behind to do overgrown and then use the stick weekly. But my reasoning for getting a walkbehind was because I have most driveways straight.

10. competitiveimageland

thats with a brigss 3.5 right?