? about exmark metos and tip for u12.5 kawi users

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnworker, Nov 16, 2000.

1. lawnworker

lawnworker LawnSite Senior Member

Grettings all you people any of you that use exmark metros walkbehinds let me know if they back up hills in reverse and do they do what they call down hill run away on steep hills? Now for the tip on the 12.5 kawisake we have posted before on the fact that some peoples 12.5 kawi units dont start in cold weather.I found out if you adjust the choke in farther then factory specks it will start in all weather
    just make sure that your adjuster screw is not making contact when you have your mower in high idle.I used to have to heat my moter up fpr 2 hours on a 30 degree morning to get it to start . I feel dumb that i did not figure this out soonner uh well am happy now see you

2. Toddppm

Toddppm LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

Reverse is assist only it won't actually drive in reverse unless you pull it or are on a nice level surface, and yes mine has run away on some steep hills , i just try to make sure i know what's at the bottom before i try a steep hill!

3. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

EXMARK METRO OWNERS UNITE!!!!! LOL I have an old metro and this is the first year I have mowed any hills and it does runaway!!! even worse if you are on jungle wheels, but just be prepared and ready to brake and/or bail if needed! ?). Mine has a Honda 11hp and it is a bear to start in temps less than 60 f. But it makes you stronger and it gets your heart going....

Rick

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

the run away downhill and poor reverse is common to all belt drives that I am aware of.

you exmark metro drivers can..."come out the closet" (say it like REVEREND JACKSON,["COME OUT THE BUSHES]) and join the rest of us belt users that don't let the front of the mower get down hill against something. we also mow hills side to side.

it's good to see you all.

GEO

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

my 12.5 hp metro is a major pain to start after 1 night off. I told the shop guy that if I put a rag in the carb and pulled it imediately started. He said it is a choke problem that could probably be fixed by adjusting.

So until you can get it adjusted try the rag. It works and keeps you from looking stupid at a customers house for 30 minutes. :)

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I have an Exmark Metro 36 with a Kawi 12.5 and I am dang proud of it!

7. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

My 13 hp Honda was starting hard at about 40 f I noticed the choke was not closing completely.The throttle cable was hitting its stop before completly closing the choke. I made a small adjustment and now it starts on first pull cold or warm temps

8. rixtag

rixtag LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lehi Ut

GEO, Just curious but what is the difference between UNITE and come out of the closet? LOL Jus messin around man

Rick

9. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

yo rick!--the closet thing--most people don't want to admit they have been in there...knowwhutImeanvern?

as for the reverend, I get a kick out of him when he actually makes statments that are complete sentences.

GEO