1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

? About going back to a gas burner

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by weed wacker 2, Feb 13, 2011.

1. newboy

newboy LawnSite Member

I was wondering about your 9 mpg with the diesel. Isn't that low mpg for a diesel when its pulling? I'm thinking of buying an older diesel to replace my gasser but get a little worried when I see a low mpg figure like that.
  2. Grass Shark

Grass Shark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Zone 7

wow, sounds like that diesel is not running right, I get 15mpg with my 1999 powerstroke pulling a 8x16 enclosed with 2 z's a walk behind, blowers, handhelds and a bed full of grass:confused:
  3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

I pull a 22' GN 16,000 trail with 60'' 2 72'' With a Gas F350 5 speed stick still lots of power nothing like power stoke but i get 12mpg pulling for more power drop a gear Have power stoke it sits till we pull the 36' trailer all it does
  4. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Mine is an 08, I have the EPA to thank for the 9mpg. :hammerhead:
  5. Donald A

Donald A LawnSite Member

If your 6.0 is not giving you problems keep it.
    Your mileage seems awful low. I think i would find a good diesel mechanic and have it checked out.
  6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I get 10.5 MPG pulling a trailer around town, with my 2010 F250 V10 gasser. The trailer is loaded to the limit and weighs right at 7000lbs gross.
    The V10 has all the power I need, and even gets away from traffic lights better than the 7.3 diesels I used to run. I do not miss the diesel at all.
    It is a shame they do not offer the V10 in any F250 or 350 trucks this year.
  7. 2Klen4u

2Klen4u LawnSite Member

I would suggest putting a SCT programmer on. Program it for Fuel saving mode, NOT AGRESSIVE mode... that will help bump your fuel up atleast 3 gallons per mile. I have a 05 f2fiddy, with the unforgiven 6.0. After deleting the egr issue, an replacing the head gaskets. The truck is gotten better fuel millage and hasn't had any more issues. KNOCK ON WOOD!! I wouldn't buy another one for future reference, one and done. Only reason I'm staying with it, it's paid 4

Much Respect,
  8. 360ci

360ci LawnSite Senior Member

As you have the diesel already, keep it. High fuel prices are temporary until mid summer when the mid east conflict gets sorted out. By the time you change trucks, you'll want the diesel back. Save the time, money and aggravation of changing vehicles when it's not necessary.