1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

??? about Honda small engines please

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by iluvbermuda, Jun 13, 2004.

1. iluvbermuda

iluvbermuda LawnSite Member
    from S/E TN

On the Honda 21" mowers if you get a commercial model it comes with a GXV Honda engine in 5.5 hp. On other models you get the GCV 6.5 hp. Now the other models are cheaper than the comm. units and have more hp. But, is the GXV a much much better engine and worth the extra $$$$. What about power since the GCV is listed as having more hp. I use 21" mower exclusively and trying to make a good decision.
  2. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

Not sure about the H.P. ratings, but the commercial has enough horse power if you set the R.P.M's at 3600 to handle more lift and cut down a forest, or bag tall wet grass. The rest of that mower is what makes it shine, including the bullit proof hydro drive. I have two that are ten+ years old and still run great. HRC 216 is what you want IMO.
  3. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Not only what dishboy said but the gxv is much quieter and runs smoother. Not to mention the big atribute a very large fuel tank. It is also built to last. The GCV is hondas version to get into the low grade mower and power equiptment arena. I belive in a study I was reading about a few different engines the Honda GXV had a better fuel consumption than the rest. Trust me it pays to go with a quality engine when you are in this for a living.
  4. Camelot Gardens Uk

Camelot Gardens Uk LawnSite Member

Oh well I suppose I can jump in here as all I run are Honda 21"" (and a few 36"" lawn tractors as well)

My Honda 536QXE pro rollers are 5.5 and excellant, I was just given a 4 wheel 21"" GVX120 on Saturday cos the lady can't start it any more. I think the Honda engines are the best for reliability and operation / service. Had B&S 3.5 some years ago and you can tell the difference!