About how much weight would an 80" skidsteer bucket hold?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by CK82, Mar 10, 2008.

1. CK82

CK82 LawnSite Member

I am selling a guy some salt and I dont have a scale, I am wondering if anyone knows about how much weight (full bucket leveled off) an 80" bucket would hold? Its not a snow bucket, 80" wide, with standard height sides. I would estimate 1800lbs. Please help! Thanks Chris
  2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why are you selling it by the weight ?

You will have to find out what a yard of salt weighs and how many bucket fulls of your machine takes to make 1 yard.

Another way of doing it is a 5 gallon bucket and a bathroom scale measure what a full 5 gallon pail of salt weighs. Count how many 5 gallon buckets take to fill the bucket on the machine.
  3. mrsops

mrsops LawnSite Silver Member

should be selling by the yard
  4. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I think a 74" bucket is 1/3 yd +/- heaped but salt may be less fluffy than other materials and thus you get more in by the yard than other materials.
  5. mrsops

yeah i belive your right yellow a 74'' bucket is 1/3 yd and a 68'' bucket is a 1/2 yard right?? i know my 80'' snow buckets bobcat told me were a solid yard i put that bucket on my s330 when i have to load trucks
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

I think the going rate for rock salt is around 350-400 dollars a ton. This year the supplier in B.C. ran out of rock salt.

The maintenance contractors use brine for 90% of the time the use of rock salt is being outlawed. I hate the brine it is liquid ruster.

I would sell the salt buy the yard you are not going to get much weight difference per yard. Just charge the guy a decent price you won't loose out.

NEUSWEDE LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

That doesn't make sense why would smaller hold more?

My 74" says .74 of a yard to the brim which would lead me to believe 3/4 of a yard. Rounded over I would think it would be alittle less than a yard.

My 84" light materials bucket is 1.25 yards to the brim.

I would say an 80" a bit over the brim would be a yard and be right around 1800Lbs

Like the others I would sell by the yard.
  8. mrsops

your right i typed it wrong
  9. mrsops

so then a 68'' bucket would be half a yard correct?
  10. kreft

kreft LawnSite Bronze Member

That is still the same thing you typed before. jeesh.