? about interchangable trimmers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Apr 9, 2003.

1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I was thinking about buying an interchangable shaft. I'm not sure whats out there though. Are they any good? I've seen ones where you can change the head on your trimmer to an edger or a hedge trimmer. Or is it just better to buy them all seperatly? All comments are appreciated. Thanks
  2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I think for everyday use, such as a trimmer, buying a dedicated machine makes sense.

I have the echo split shaft which I have a powerbroom attachment for, as well as the articualting hedge trimmers. Love them both.
  3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Have used the ECHO PAS system for going on five years and think it is great.
  4. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

Shindaiwa just came out with a new power head and paddle broom just his week. My dealer is getting me the power head, power broom, and string trimmer for $650.00 I'll let you know how they work if the weather ever gets nice.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Have the Echo SRM2400 split boom and it's nice. Good because you save space (don't need lots of power units around) and save money on attachments vs. whole units, lot less maintenance, less machines to break, etc. Just buy a split boom unit and you can always get another attachment for it later when you need. I would even for your primary trimmer if it's not going to be used for edging (like if you need something for hedge trimming, etc.). I have a homemade curved shaft attachment (made from Homelite cut down), Echo edger attachment and Echo non pivoting hedge trimmer attachment for it. All work good, but the edger stays on most of the time and the string trimmer is just for backup if my Stihl straight (not split) goes out (yea right LOL). Anyway they are a good idea and product to have around, would recommend one for sure. But I wouldn't want one power unit for trimming and edging both, just a dedicated one for either job and then have the other one split boom (splits are a bit more expensive) for other uses that aren't going to be as frequent as trimming or edging, etc.
    Would like to try one of those paddle wheels sometime they look neat!

6. Blessed 1

Blessed 1 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Stihl FS-85 Split Shaft and a FS-55 straight shaft and I love the split boom. Easy to change and after initial warm up, 1 pull starts. I use the trimmer,edger, and the hedge trimmers. Only draw back is the weight. Probally 2-3 lbls heavier.
  7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i had a an echo split boom with the powerbroom, trimmer, edger and brush cutter. it was a great machine... until somebody had to go ahead and steal it last week. Im switching to stihl this time... mainly cause thats what my main dealer carries, and i think the stihl motors are a little more powerful than the echo. im gonna try the paddle broom this time too instead, cause many on here say they are better than the bristled....although i thought mine worked awesome. i mainly chose a split boom, because i work by myself. its a lot easier than buying seperate power units for each implement
  8. Expert Lawns

Thanks for the posts. I'm hoping to spend under $650, seeing how I don't have a really big demand for it right now. I need something inexpensive so I can get started, then move up to something more sophisticated and, well obviously more expensive. Here's my situation....I will start doing hedges and edging this year. Will the machines you have all mentioned handle this task? I will look into the Echo and Stihl brands. I have used Redmax for blowers and trimmers, and i know they have something similar. I just dont' have a lot of $$$ to throw around on this. So would it be best to try the interchangalbe shaft, or just buy 2 separate: an edger and a hedge trimmer?
  9. Expert Lawns

I just reread BHB's post again and I think that helped, but anywho, please keep posting, I really appreciate it.
  10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

The hedge trimmer attachment for a split boom isn't good for all hedge trimming I don't think. I mean it's longer than a conventional hedger and it's easier to hold because of the weight distribution but I beleive you'll still need a regular hedger. The Echo HC1500 is a popular model. I have the HCR1500 which is the same thing but with a rotating handle. I'm not sure how necessary that is but I got it used. I think it's a bit more $$ if new. Check prices on Echo split boom stuff at www.alamia.com slow page but prices are about the same as at my dealers....
    good luck,