?? about MEG-MO Blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stumper1620, Nov 2, 2005.

1. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok, heres my problem, I have my JD 737 with a 54" deck, has a bagger vac system and a mulch kit, don't matter which I am using I got major leaf blowout when trying to do my cleanups, I just got the bagger in march and it worked great for spring cleanups, but all the leaves were wet, now even slightly wet they blow all over. Deere says there is a leaf anti blowout kit availible for 180 bucks, this pizzed me off since the dang bagger cost 1600 and in my opinion should have included the kit. now with tax added it will be enough I could have been very well set up with a leaf loader, JRCO leaf plow and a good WB blower to compliment my BP, Now that all this money is invested I'm stuck with what I got so, Question For those who know, will meg-mos have blow out too? should I buy the blow out kit? should I raise he!! at JD?
    I've been out in the shop for about 20 hours of adjustments and changes trying to get either the mulch kit to work or the vac system, I'm spending twice to 3 times the allocated time per job, and its all because of JD trying to suck some more Bucks outa me. what say you? will megs help at this point or not?
    sorry this is so long.

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Just get some conveyor belting/rubber and bolt it to the front of the deck for leaf season. Really all you need to do is put it on the right corner cause thats where all your blowout occurs. No matter what blade you use on the 7 iron deck for leaves, you will get some blowout. Reason being is the height of the blades in the deck. You can't put the blades any higher in the deck.

3. stumper1620

ya, thats the primary area, when the leaves are dry they blowout the whole front.
    I was considering that as an alternitive last night when I was in the garage, where can I get some of that?

4. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

Get Truck mud flaps and cut 4 or5" strips. Heavy rug will work also. The MEG MO blades will have blow out also but the leaves going in to the catcher will be at 10 times smaller so will save you a lot of time.

5. MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC

MJLsLawnCareNmoreLLC LawnSite Senior Member

Stumper1620, That's odd, I have both the 647 and 667 and neither one of them has a blowout problem. If anything I have better results the drier the leaves are. I run a mulch kit on the 647 and gator magnums on the 667. I think a lot of the reason that blowout could occur is because of how the front of the 7 iron curls up. I think this really helps with collecting leaves, because it give room for the leaves to get under the deck instead of acting like a leaf plow. I used to get this plowing effect with my exmarks, because the deck skirt is the same size all the way around.

Some things to try, adjust the pitch of the deck to a 1/4" lower in the front. Thats what I do and it works great for me. Make sure the deck is clean and the blades are sharp. Make sure the deck is level. Lastly make sure the rpm's are correct.

6. stumper1620

I have my deck set 1/8 inch loweer in front, i will try setting 1/4 and see what happens, I was also thinking of adding a 3/4 " skirt to the baffel under the front of the deck for the bagger, I welded a 3/4 skirt onto the Mulch kit Baffles and that made a huge difference, When I was trying to figure out what to do with it I noticed my blade tips were 1/2" lower than the mulch kit.
    the blades that are on it now are gator mags. but it did'nt matter, the JD mulchers and high lifts were just as bad or worse.

7. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

You can get some rubber belting at you nearest gravel quarry. They throw away scraps all the time when they have a belt split on the conveyors. Also, lower the front of your deck to between 1/4" and 3/8".

8. stumper1620

thanks, I picked up some bailing belt 4" wide at tractor supply tonight, I'll get that on in the morning adjust the deck some more, with some good luck I'll be getting to work on cleanups by noon.
    I'm running out of test track around here, started doing my nieghbors lawn for testing, now if I get it working right I need to finish their lawn too, since they allowed me to use it for testing.