?? about metal buildings for shop

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tranum, Jan 17, 2001.

1. tranum

tranum LawnSite Member

anybody have any experience with putting up a metal building? you know the kind where you can buy the material in kit form and build it yourself. i have GOT to do something to free up my garage. looked at having a shop stick built but both estimates came in at about $18 sq ft and this was just dried in. i think i can buy the metal building for less $$ but not sure about constructing it. would like to have a 30x36. did a search but didn't find anything specific. if you have any knowledge on this, please share.

2. Cleve

Cleve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Rockmart, GA

Try the web site [heritagebuildings.com].
    Let me know if this doesn't work and I'll see if I can post it better. I visited their site recently and was impressed with it. Cleve....

3. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I am a former Carpenter and have seen polebarns built and have done work inside of them. A polebarn would be the cheapest way to go. You can add concrete floors later if you wanted. These are mostly bull work buildings getting the posts in the ground and in the right places. After that, it's fairly easy. Just bolt a 2x10 or 12 on each side of the posts on top for the trusses to sit on and then 2x6's around the out side of the posts to nail the sheet metal too. You do the same with the roof, by nailing 2x4's flat on the trusses across them to nail the sheet metal roof to. I stuck with the easier stick building custom homes and there was a lot less traveling too.
    I hope this helps.
    Eric

5. Mr.Ziffel

Mr.Ziffel LawnSite Senior Member

It depends on what you want to do in the shop. If you're just going to store machines and materials, in other words a machine shed like on a farm, go cheap. If you want a warm, dry enclosed workshop, make sure you go with the highest quality you can afford which may make a metal building comparable in price to the stick built. A poorly built and improperly insulated and roofed metal building will make your life hell on earth if you want to work in it during a cold, wet winter [oops I forgot to look and see where you live].

Check out the Badger Pond Woodworking site. Go to the power tool forum and search for this topic. Those guys want a nice dry warm building for their woodworking tools, etc., and I remember reading several threads where a guy wished he had done a more thorough job on proper insulation, roofing, etc. This is the right URL but you'll probably have to enter it into your computer instead of trying to link it. Will

http://www.wwforum.com

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Even a polebarn can be heated. The one my buddy had built, after they got it up, I went in and partitioned off part of it and put in a ceiling and walls. I insulated it all and wired it for him and he has a great work shop that is heated and the rest of it is just used to store a backhoe, his work truck and his hobby car with lots of overhead storage too. It is 24 X 60 and has been a nice building. He added all concrete floors with a drain in the work shop and even a bath room.

7. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Check with local farmers for a pole barn builder. Due to working with farmers, who often like to do work themselves, most of these builders will do just as much as you feel you can't do, and will give you a fixed price for their portion of the work. Then you can finish the basic structure yourself, and customize more each year as Eric suggests.

Friend at a nearby nursery had just the framework and roof done on his pole barn. He installed siding and doors himself. Then over time he added electric, water, finished second floor, etc.

8. jay

jay LawnSite Member

I used to build them and have friends in the buis. ,but don't know how you would go about buying one you might want to contact a contracter in your area. Sorry I don't know the codes in your area eithier, here the main thing we would have to worry about was the foundation and torque on the bolts. The ones we built you need Heavy duty forklifts, booms, and a gas welder. Could be a big job just for one guy. Steal beams are very heavy and unstable untill the main frame work is built. You might be better off buying those pre build sheds they were talking about.

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

When building a pole barn, the main cost you are avoiding is the foundation. Like Eric stated, you can add a concrete floor later, insulation later, heat later, etc. If you can get by with just a shell and do not have enough money to outlay all at once, pole buildings are a great way to do it.

Also, there are no rules that say you have to use steel for roofing or walls. You can sheet one and roof it to match your house as well as side it to match also.

I am looking to build this summer a 24'x32' with a 24'x 12' attached carport on one side, all stick built with a concrete foundation and floor. I plan to do all myself, but the foundation and floor. Just did final figures the other day and it is coming out at $7.00 a sq ft.

This post has made me think to figure what it would run if I built mine pole barn style. All most half my cost is in paying the guy to do the block and floor work.

10. tony58

tony58 LawnSite Member

I just had a 30x40 post and frame metal building built with one 36"walk in door and one 9'x15' slider door.It was a lock and key job on my level site 6200.00.The concrete job cost me 2600.00 plus they did a lot of extra gravel work with there bobcat.All I like now is the electricity, but that will have to wait awhile.
    Tony58