? about oil for kawasaki engine

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fishinman22487, Oct 28, 2005.

1. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

Howdy,
    I have a 15hp Kawasaki engine on a exmark walkbehind..
    I didnt check the engine oil for a few weeks and I have just checked it recently.... it was just about empty... so I added some oil and asked my dealer for some advice he says change the oil every other week and just pray the engine dont blow up:cry:

So anyway do you think changing the oil will help the engine go back to normal!!?!?

Need some opinions.
    Thanks!!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry Guy, If there is any damage changing the oil that often isn't going to help a thing but the store you buy it from. Just as a rule of thumb check your oil every morning before you head out, Doesn't take but a second to be on the safe side.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree with restro rob on this one, the oil wont get any worse changing it every other week than it would every 50 or 100 hours. Dont waste more coin than you have to, if the engine blows, then it blows, no reason to spend 300 bucks on oil for a season because it will not do any good.

4. fishinman22487

fishinman22487 LawnSite Member

thanks guys for the advice!! you know im just thankful it isnt spring time yet and the grass isnt growing like crazy:) but anyway i might have to buy a new engine. My dearler quoted me about 1,000 dollars for a the same exact engine installed!!! Did some searchin online and these engines list for about 500 bucks new:dizzy:DOES THIS SOUND RESONABLE. I really need to start taking care of my equipment more often, because I may be selling it all in a year or so....

5. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

thats typical charge for dealer. you could probably do it in 2 hours though. engines i use are $1500-$2500 new. did engine start making any noise. if not then no damage.

6. Restrorob

Where did you find this replacement engine ????? That sounds dirt cheep !!!!

7. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

That engine might be tougher than you think.

I had an employee use regular gas in the 2-stroke blower earlier this year. It siezed. I managed to free up the piston and put it all back together and it is still going strong after heavy use.

Just continue to change/check the oil regularly and see what happens. It might be okay.

8. Restrorob

Oh, There could very well be damage just not enough to cause a knock YET.
    But I would go ahead and run it till it blows apart or until it did start making noise, Who knows it could last a couple more years or longer.

9. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

500 is a steal, buy that and install it yourself. Easy as one two three.

10. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

yeah i agree. it might have shortened the life by a couple hundred hours, but i doubt itll blow apart tomarrow.