1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

About Products or About Plant Husbandry

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by Smallaxe, Oct 11, 2012.

1. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I agree,,, arguing and bashing is for the ignorant...

I think back to the time b4 lawn chemicals were 'all the rage', the greatest thing since sliced bread or The Jones's Lawn was picture perfect, constantly manicured, even in the 'blue collar' class of people...

2,4d was the broadleaf weed killer and people grew grass, IF they got caught up in the Turf Fever sweeping the small towns across the country, because we want to be part of the elite...

What followed was abuse, abuse and more abuse... then the abuse was made standardized, so that today lcos don't have a very large window in which to grow grass because the 'chemicals' are ever present and even the ferts are spread on frozen turf... Pre-Ms applied months before they're needed, "Just In Case!!!"...

Healthy turf comes ONLY from healthy soils...
    again,,, not trying to argue either, but I believe that if that one little concept were explored in depth, a lot of the anti-chemical hyperbole simply becomes a non-issue, just as it was back when the majority of the population knew how to grow plants... :)

2. Green_Will

Green_Will LawnSite Member

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the laugh GW.

4. Smallaxe

We don't know, what we don't know... What's interesting is the discovery that takes place from a well thought out, in depth discussion,,, that is built, thought upon thought and precept upon precept...

My view of organics, from my experience, is the Full Circle from before fertilizer/herbicide to after synthetics right back to where we were in the 50s and 60s...

Once the soils were built up very little fertilzer, if any was used even for pastures...

Then, the fert abuse lead to irrigation abuse and soils were ignored...

Now we look at "products"that are not synthetic and think we are once again looking at the soils, but that is really a very superficial view... understanding what the product does really doesn't matter to most lcos becuz that has never been part of the 'sales pitch'... :)

5. Green_Will

How long have you been in this business?

6. Smallaxe

I started as a teenager, on a dairy farm, then after the USMC, GI Bill for some Horticulture and Botany,,, I decided it was the type of work that I enjoyed most, so I built up the business to full time...

If there was internet when I got going, it would have helped out a lot...
    All we had in those days were books...

7. Green_Will

I'm sorry. I guess what I should have asked was what year did you start your business? I have seen several quotes by you that mention the 70's, 80's, etc. I was curious if you were running a business before chemical lawn treatments were popular or if you were speaking from things you read. Just curious by nature... If that is something you want to keep private, that's cool.

8. Smallaxe

Oh yeah, I was doing lawncare when ChemLawn came on the scene and got everyone all excited about lots of green grass and no weeds... It was brand new to our neck of the woods and I wasn't really surprised that a lot of people thought it was a silly excess or luxury... :)