?? about running ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by eslawns, Jul 19, 2001.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I got a ztr about 3 weeks ago. I am still a rookie, but was able to shave time off the jobs after the 2d day. What I notice is that I have a tendency to pull grass loose around trees with no mulch at the bottom and when I turn around. It's had to tell until after you do it because the back tires are tearing the grass. What am I doing to cause this?

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Be one with the hydraulics young grasshopper.

3. Jay ALC

Jay ALC LawnSite Member

eslawns,
    Just make sure that when you turn both or all wheels are moving this will keep you from tearing grass or creating "divits". When you turn "on a dime" one wheel may not move which tears a little circle, to prevent this make sure you push forward on one control as pulling back on the other, you will turn quicker and not hurt the lawn. Hope the info helped.

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

do 3 pt turns until you get the hang of it.

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

eslawns,
    The way to turn at the end of a pass w/out tearing up turf is to turn mower easy to left or right go slighty past next pass and backup. Try to do it in smooth fluid motion. As far as going around tree's & other obsticals, you some times have to take a couple of stabs at them to keep from tearing turf. ;) ED

6. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

eslawns:

The above answers are all correct....especially the tip about keeping BOTH wheels moving.

I purchased my first ZTR this spring and can relate to your situation. Practice makes perfect.

Once you "become one with the hydro's" you can do it in your sleep with no divots. :)

Be particularly aware of the "both wheels moving" in wet, soggy conditions as it is much easier for the wheels to spin on damp turf.

PEACE!

7. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Slow down and you will ok.

8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you come to a complete stop at the end of each pass,and momentarily pull both levers back,then the one forward to turn,it will not tear,pulling both turns the castors around and the inertia lets the inside tire go continue backwards without tearing,while the outside tire is put in forward.This works real good,and also helps you to get perfectly straight stripes that dont tail off at the end,or hook at the end.Around the trees,just go slow,and be gentle,the faster you go,the more the machine wants to go straight,the harder you pull back on the inside lever,the more it scuffs the inside tire.

9. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies. I will try this Friday.

10. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I know this is "common sense" but...

Don't "jam" the controls forward or back. Do it slowly and smoothly until you learn the machine. "Jamming" the controls forward or back causes tire spin.

Mark