? about standers and surfers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Watkinslawnservice, May 28, 2005.

1. Watkinslawnservice

Watkinslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Doesn't anyone else in the world make a commercial stand-on mower besides Wright, and Dane/Deere?
  2. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Nobody. Except some mower I saw once online somewhere called a "Convertible".. It looked like a WB that you could swing the controls over and operate as a "stander".. But It really looked like It wasn't too well engineered/built.. I think It was called a Rich? Or something like that.

I wish more manufacturers would step up and build stand on machines, as I'm sure competetion would improve the design..

I've had a design for a Stand-up machine in my head for quite a while that would be able to pass through a 32" gate, cut at 52", and have large tires and lots of HP.. But It will likely stay in my head as I'm not an engineer, and I'm neither motivated, nor equipped to build a prototype with my own resources/$$$..
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

John deere makes a stand up model also. Stop playing around and step up to the plate and buy a Stander. :)
  4. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I like your thinking. I will never own anything other that the wright stander. Mine have been to hell and back. :D
  5. Watkinslawnservice

I may demo a Wright but the biggest problem for me is that it appears that the nearest Wright dealer is almost 40 miles away and I have a John Deere dealer right around the corner.
  6. extoro

extoro LawnSite Member

Dixie Chopper just came out with one. It is UGLY. There was a post on here about it not too long ago
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

That is a walk behind and YES it is UGLY. But to me it's a little beyond that. To me it looks like something throw together by amature monster garage junk yard dogs. I wouldn't be caught dead with one because sure as the world, someone would think "good god, he must have built that himself over the winter out of junk parts."

Back on topic, those Wright Standers are trick little machines, no doubt. But I can't see how in the world guys live with a fixed deck. I change cutting heights way too much to live with one I think. Plus, I may have said this before, but I've never liked the idea of the deck being a functional part of the mower chassis.
  8. MercyMe

MercyMe LawnSite Member

The new Gen II Great Dane Super Surfers are really nice. I am going to try one when one of my current mowers goes belly up.
  9. Watkinslawnservice

John Deere and Great Dane is the same thing. Basically just the 7-iron deck and the green paint is different on the Deere.
  10. Watkinslawnservice

Does anyone know what is different about the generation II vs. the old super surfer? What was the problem with the super surfers that gave them the bad rap?