About the EDGIT...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dcplace2004, Apr 1, 2006.

1. dcplace2004

dcplace2004 LawnSite Senior Member

I can see the practical use of it but am wondering about the trimming in tight spaces that that disk would not fig in...what about that?...other than that, it is pretty neat...say the corner of a fence or around pipes next to a house in a smaller space than the disk...hmmmmmm....:confused:

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

YOu can turn it on edge and vertical trim. Or get out the scissors or a bit of RU or just pull it out. Never been a big problem for me and I won't use a trimmer without an edgit.

3. dcplace2004

When I edge with a trimmer and get into the sod and thick overgrowth I have to take it slow and put the edger shaft on my knee and walk in that crazy way to keep the head steady...you are edging along without an edgit and bam, the edger line grabs and pulls your head in and there ya go--a gouged uneven cut...if I keep my trimmer speed down it is not too bad...the fs110r is freaking powerful, almost too powerful to do many jobs but I enjoy the torgue when I need it for brush...plus it is QUIET...The trimmer line I use it louder than the engine noise...I have to use square magnum from oregon chain for that trimmer as it goes throught the stihl green round too fast...That line cuts through new growth like butter if you can keep it steady, hence the need for the edgit...I am probably going to order it...speed and quality counts on the edging...

4. dcplace2004

would'nt the edgit disk keep you from getting snug on it? That is a lot of scissor cutting along a fence? Is the line cutter out farther than the disk, to allow the line to protrude out beyond the disk?...I can see one popping the head constantly...thanks...

5. dcplace2004

such as not being able to edge in tight spaces...I don't have time to scissor cut grass...Surely he was kidding abou that...

6. dcplace2004

just adjust the line out to where you want and go with it...if the thing rolls then there is no cutter...I finally went to the website...

7. kmann

kmann LawnSite Senior Member

It doesnt cut the line. you control how long you want it to be. it says in the instructions it should be about 3 inches out from the disc. It works great on vines because it keeps them from wrapping around the head. They also sell them on Ebay for cheaper than the website.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It can be a problem in a VERY tight space, but if you let the line out a couple inches beyond the edgit, you can usually get in to trim.

All things considered, the edgit is a great way to go.

9. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

Love my edgit.
    Related question. I notice my line touches the edgit on one side and is a half inch away on the other side. Took it off and straightened out everything on my trimmer. Replaced the edgit. Still does it, I know something is crooked but what? And is this bad or unusual or normal. ty.

10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not right. Trimmer line should be just along side the edgit all the way around.