1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

About time for a change / switched web site style

Discussion in 'Digital Marketing' started by mdvaden, Feb 21, 2006.

1. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

My site's been about the same basic thing for a couple of years. After tinkering for a while, it seemed like time for a change.

I like flash, but for now, decided to go with something somewhat simple. I may do flash buttons next winter.

Moving the buttons from the side to the top seems to be a big improvement, setting all the services at one easy to read level.

I narrowed the pages to about 800.

Except that the old page example is now using the new buttons, here's the old home page...

And here is the new home page...

It was a good opportunity to do some extra housekeeping that had to be accomplished to squeeze the old content into the new page size.
  2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Both schemes work, and whether a person likes the buttons on the side or on top is probably a personal thing, just like color preferences. I suppose you have to be careful in changing that background so that the blue banner and border doesn’t look too contrasting and out of sync, but in this case it appears fine – personal feeling again, of course.

There are two ways that I look at using flash. First of all, I love the look of flash presentations and they surely spice up the look of websites, but then again you could end up paying more for the extra required bandwidth and resources. Nine times out of ten they are just fluff and have nothing to do with the website’s true objective. You have a very nice website, however I can also surely understand that after a while you’d be tempted to try something new - I would, especially if I’d look at what some of these other sites had to offer, but nevertheless the website would probably still work just as good without all of the bells and whistles.
  3. mdvaden

Thanks Critical Care....

I like that image you made with the landscape license number next to the Oregon logo at your signature line.

Maybe you can spend some time on the landscape board in the future. I just finished by second term last October. It's not that huge of a time commitment. There is plenty to learn there as well as give.

It will be a positive memory for the rest of my life.
  4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the new one better.

I was looking at your site, and right off the bat there is something I don't like when I look at it. The way your name is layed out. Maybe its the font...or the texturing effect. I think a solid black in a different font maybe. Its really distracting.

Just my opinion, don't take it personal.
  5. Critical Care

Mario, I’m glad that you had a favorable time being part of the board, and it sounds as if they’ll miss having you along for what’s bound to be more interesting rides ahead. Of course, as you know there are already a couple guys on the board from this area, and any more would surely cause some people to conjure up images of a conspiracy. In all truthfulness, I’m sure your right, it would be a great learning experience, and who knows… maybe some day the wind will blow that direction.

Regarding you website, perhaps Drsogr is basically seeing the same thing that I am about the bright blue contrasting against the “warm southwestern” background. You may want to tweak, or experiment, a bit with one or the other color.
  6. mdvaden

Those colors up there have always challenged me. I like this version the best yet, but there's always room for improvement.

One thing, my monitor displays different color than our son's monitor, or than our daughter's.

Sometimes I pull the site up on other computers just to take a peek elsewhere.
  7. Critical Care

Uh huh, and further yet, how do you know that the colors you see with your eyes are exactly that which someone else sees with theirs? Think about it, if you could suddenly look at the world through my eyes then perhaps you’d see the sky as being red, and those bright Fuji apples as blue. However, I guess that according to the color wheel, complimentary, contrasting, and opposite colors would still have the same principles.