1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

About to buy my 1st commercail mower what should i get?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by murrayslandscaping22, Feb 17, 2009.

1. murrayslandscaping22

murrayslandscaping22 LawnSite Senior Member

I am 17 and started cutting a couple of lawns last summer about 20. i was using a 21" push mower and an echo trimmer and a craftsman backpack blower from sears. This summer coming up i have about 40 accounts set up for this summer and i was planning on getting a 36" mower. what kind would you guys recommend. I was also wondering where everyone gets them big green trash cans cause my little ones dont do the job.
  2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

The big green ones have been discussed a million times on this site lol. You can get them at Home Depot for about $40 a piece. Then Gravely is a good mower. Thats what mine is and it has given me no problems....Another thing, going from 20 accounts to 40 accounts in under a year is AWESOME!
  3. murrayslandscaping22

yea well i got really lucky because a family friend got be about 10 because he owns a bunch of rental properties so i got all them and then the rest was from word of mouth..i still want to pass out flyers around the areas where the bulk of my accounts are. thanks for the help
  4. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

hummmm.. .maybe its just me, but i never really understood 36 inch mowers??..

i look at it like this.. a 36 isn't going to fit in smaller gates like a 32 will.. and generally a 36 isn't going to save you much time if at all time over a 32..

if your going to get a w/b that smal,l go with the 32.. if you don't have gates to worry about why not just go up to a 48?
  5. greenbaylawns

greenbaylawns LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure he'll have gates. Get a 36. Exmark's work good

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 32" Exmark Metro walk behind and it's great. I think a 36" or a 32" would be fine for ya.
  7. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

The best mower you can buy is one you can pay cash for. Look at a good used walk behind. As for the green cans...I got mine at Lesco.
  8. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Go to your gates and physically measure them...you might be surprised - I know I was because a 36" mower will not fit thru a 36" gate.
    A 32" mower made WAY more sense for my business as those smaller gates, too small for a 36", still led to a great big back yard that mowing with a 21" wasn't going to happen anymore. My Toro 21 stays at home, now.
  9. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

I would look for a good used 36 walk behind, belt driven, with low hours. PAY CASH! Do not go into debt. You will always have a need for a 36" mower. Stay samml and keep overhead low. Track every dollar, and buy used oras I call it slightly new / used. As for trash cans, lesco / John Deere is great, we like to use the roll-around types and bought some from local trash company. The nice thing is if we break the can, we take it back and exchange it. Great deal and it has wheels.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great plan....
  10. murrayslandscaping22

thanks for all the info guys...yea idk if i should get a 36" or 32" it just depends what kind of deal i find and which one is the best for the money i have. i know not to get into debt.

tommy boy you say stay small? what do u mean by this becausee i want to do this as a career and try to get as big as i can not now but later on and try to expand to tree services when i get older in my 20s.