About to buy new mower, help me w/ options...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TROTTMAN, May 12, 2004.

1. TROTTMAN

TROTTMAN LawnSite Senior Member

Hey y'all, after going around to 3-5 dealers here, I think I have decided that I want to get either the,

Snapper 36" hydro floating deck for $3900,

or

The Husqvarna 42" hydro floating deck with single lever height adjustment. $4200 and he will likely throw in a free mulching kit (since Kimco has it online for $4071.99). I would rather buy it from a dealer though.

Anyway, the dealership here doesn't have the mower in stock and I really doubt they would order it in just so I could demo it first haha. Keep in mind, this is a place FILLED to the brim with good-ole-boys.

Now I still haven't made it to the Exmark or John Deere places, but they don't make a 40-44" mower anyway, and I am trying to avoid getting a large 48" deck again. Its just not a good size for residential lawns (at least not for me some guys pull it off, but I don't know what they do about uneven ground or gates).

Another note, I might be getting an old 4 wheel steering rider with like a 50" deck, so if I do this kind of reduces the need of a large cut walk behind mower for commercial and large country lots. But, I still don't think I want to go as small as 36". I have a 33" now, and its too small. I have a 48", and its too big haha. Seems like the 42" Husky is an obvious choice, but I am very careful about buying anything, especailly a $4k+ mower.

Also, I don't really like the Toro 44" very much. Those 2 inches make a big difference in gating, and on my house a 44" won't fit through the gate.

Any help would be be greatly appreciated.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Umm, Toro made some 44" 's a while ago.

3. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Might is suggest looking at a Wright stander. They make a 42" version.

4. TROTTMAN

I don't want to pay more for a stander. Not as safe on hills anyway.

And again, I don't like the 44" Toros, they are still a little too big and the 2 inch change makes a difference.

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Stick with the snapper.

6. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

The stnaders are safe on a hill. Probably the safest mower you can run on a hill. The 48" to 61" are better on the hill than the 42", but it still will do very well. You could bug wright about building a 42" Velke mower.

7. themowerman

themowerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Try looking at the BobCat line of mowers.

8. TROTTMAN

I have a Bobcat right now and I think they are a little less sophisticated than some other brands out now. Its not a bad mower by any means though.

9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

If your willing to wait a bit, Hustler is coming out wiht a 48" mower that the deck tilts to fit through a 36" gate. They call it a gatestar. I have their 48" super walkbehind and it goes everywhere. It does very well in tight spaces. the hydro controls and h-bar give it bery god manuveralbility. One place that has a small gate (a 36" woudn't even fit) lets me open up a section of the fence to get the big mower in. The clamps on the top of the chain link are loose enough that it only takes a minute to open anad close. Another I anm trying to talk into a bigger gate. There are pictures of the new hustler mowers on their forum.

10. TROTTMAN

Yeah I have seen that Gatestar, but I think it is out of my price range... 48" deck is too big for me as far as mowing goes as well. Scalps too much and it can't cut on narrow strips of grass inbetween fences/beds etc. Too many of my lawns are too uneven and undulating for a 48" deck. But I really like that design though. Its really cool!