About to give it up.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProStreetCamaro, Apr 13, 2004.

1. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well folks we are on the verge of just dropping everything. After almost 30 years in the business. Last year and starting off this year has just about killed us. Last year here in maryland we never got more than 3 full work days a week because of the rain and this year is starting off the same way. So far we have lost 11 customers and not gained any. They all quite because there lawns didnt look as good as previous years. ARE PEOPLE REALLY THAT STUPID? When your foot sinks 2 inch's in the lawn from all the rain ALL YEAR LONG its kind of hard to make the lawn look beautiful. I mean seriously are people really that stupid? No matter how much it rained last year we ALWAYS got everybodys lawn cut. So anyway we are thinking it over right now and might just throw in the towel. Anybody here have any suggestions?

2. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I say hang in there, after 30 years I would be willing to at least stick it out for a couple of years more to see if this will change.
    I had the same problem here in Rhode Island last year with all the rain except my customers complained about all the weeds. It was a terrible year for weeds, I have some fertilizing accounts & alot of them also use Trugreen and weeds were still a problem, but I am sticking it out and going forward. Gotta take the good with the bad.

3. ProStreetCamaro

Yeah thats true but my dad is now 54 and its starting to be to much on him. 11 lawns at an average of $30 per cut is $330 a week loss times 4 weeks equals $1320 a month. In 8 months thats $10,560 less than any other year we have ever worked.

4. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

Here in NC, after 5 years of drought, all that rain last year actually has created an increase in business. For the most part all the rain led to so much growth that people were calling like crazy because they had gotten used to mowing there lawns so little over the last few years. Another thing the rain did is made me look like a genius to customers that had me aerate and seed last fall, they now have grass in areas of the lawn they never did before. Hope it can last ( knock on wood)

5. ProStreetCamaro

The year before last we had a drought here in Maryland also. We had water restrictions all over the area. Im not wishing for a drought but I do wish some of this rain would ease up and let us work. The last 2 days we have had a non stop pouring rain here so there is no way we could go out and cut today plus they are calling for severe t-storms later here with another 2-3 inchs of rain and then tomorrow they are calling for yet MORE rain. This has got to stop!!!!!!!!!!

6. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Alot of rain up here in Rhode Island as well, they are calling for rain all week, it's killing my schedule as far as spring clean-ups and some planting and dethatching as well, but you just gotta wait it out and hope for the best.

7. triadncman

triadncman LawnSite Member

same here, it has not stopped raining since sunday night

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Extremes... here in MN we haven't had any rain yet this year, nothing worht mentioning anyways.

9. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

What about targeting small lawns, and useing light mowers, so you can mow those lawns in the rain.

10. ProStreetCamaro

All of our lawns are an acre or less. We have a 36" scag and a 48" lazer z hp. Alot of our lawns retain water because of the type of soil here in md. ALOT of clay. Makes everything a mess.