About to go crazy....

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by KyBoy, Apr 26, 2005.

1. KyBoy

KyBoy LawnSite Member

I need to replace the spring on the idler pulley for the drive belt that's on my snapper. One end goes to the frame the other goes to the drive pulley. I put a rope on the spring and tried to pull it on but couldn't get it. Is there a trick or tool to get this thing on.

2. scagboy227

scagboy227 LawnSite Member

ost pics of the prob first

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

Put a flat blade screwdriver thru the spring loop, and then up to the pulley, at an angle. Start getting the angle straight, then just a little more, and more, and then the loop will travel down the screwdriver and onto the pulley. Another trick is a pair of needle-nose vice grips and pull the loop up to the pulley, or down to the frame. It is just a matter of technique and muscle. Be very careful to protect your knuckles and especially your eyes.

4. KyBoy

KyBoy LawnSite Member

I don't have enough room for screwdrivers or any tool that I have. It's only about 2 or 3 inches of clearance to the bottom of the frame and almost no room to get my hand in there. I'm about ready to set the thing on fire and watch it burn.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I Use a Old murray drive belt idler arm spring Which you dont have, So go to your local hardware store and pick up a large spring about a half inch. dia.
    with about a 6 to 8" long hook on one end,Wrap a shop rag around the spring, reach up under and with this spring and hook the other and pull it down to the pulley.If you don't wrap the spring it will stretch and pinch you.
    This has worked for me 14 years on any mower on the market.

14 Yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
    Kohler Factory Trained
    Tecumseh
    Honda
    Kawasaki
    Onan
    Robin
    Factory Trained Polaris ATV & Watercraft

6. ALCS

ALCS LawnSite Member

I used a coat hanger and bent it into a hook shape to hold the spring and then pulled it to the frame.

alcs

7. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

NO, NO fires. I am going out later and I will look at some of my mowers and come-up with an idea. Loosing your temper gets you no where. As I posted in another thread...SOMEONE put it all together in the beginning. SO, there IS a way to get it back together. You just have to figure out the best and easiest way. Don't do anything drastic. My late brother-in-law, who was a mechanic, used to say" Walk away for 5 minutes, because when you come back...things will look different."

8. thinksnow

thinksnow LawnSite Member

two word- VICE GRIPS, preferably the needle nose type

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Good advice Jim !!!

10. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use a winch with hooks ot pull it, and just push it down and let the winch out.