about to put double gators on for clean-ups to come

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Orkin Yards, Sep 27, 2002.

1. Orkin Yards

Orkin Yards LawnSite Senior Member

its about time for me to get my double gators on there that i run for leaves and cleanups and what not..... should i raise the height of the blades higher to prevent from lots and lots of blow out and what not and to get the best results when doing clean-ups? or do i want them lower.....someoen let me know what the prefered is for when i have double gators and doing leaves and waht not....thanks
  2. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

your grass type is a factor.
    for fescue i started taking them dn a litte last wk.going into leaf season ,i prefer
    3 inches. i run mulchers and gators on top. with the deck that low ,under normal conditions ,good pick up and very little blow back.this also depends on how your motor is adjusted. my best torque is at 3800 w doubles. with singles the motor just want calln on itsef for max power.
    although with a 7 yr old kohler comm. im only running doubles when necessary now days. time to start given her a break.
    as this yr. didnt exactly set me up to buy a new lazer .
  3. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Do you run doubles for mulching? Are bagging only.
    Are the blades one on top of the other, are in a X pattern?
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

The lower the better But the lower the deck the lower The blades will Be. Like a quarter Inch Or so.