About to shove the Mower in the lake!!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by midlandlawncare, Jul 16, 2007.

1. midlandlawncare

midlandlawncare LawnSite Member

Hey guys I've spent the entire season trying to get my hustler to run right. I t just has no spark.. replaced the ignition switch , it ran for a bit...cleaned the coil's it ran for a bit ...some days it will crank and i haven't got a clue why . right now thw grass is a foot high and my z is out of comission , i've already taken it to 2 shops where they have done the work mentioned above , my closet dealer is 25 miles in the wrong direction, and they haven't fixed it yet.. the funny thing is it either has full spark or none at all :confused: , what else cuts off the ignition besides the kill wire going to the coils? I 've had those disconnected when it WAS cranking and still was able to turn it off at the switch, how is that ? and yes i have fuel.Something is killing the ignition , i just don't know what, any help would be great.

2. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Check some of the safety features.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OOOK.....What engine are we dealing with ? Model & Spec. #'s, What model Hustler ? Model & Serial #'s.....

It most likely shut down with the switch while the coil kill wires were off due to killing power to a fuel cut-off solenoid.

4. midlandlawncare

2005 hustler 52" mini z, 330hrs ,honda 24hp , by the way i can spray starting fluid , etc when it does this and theres is no diff. there is just no spark at all, so i don't believe its a fuel problem , but today i went outside, sprayed the entire engine , coils, etc with fog oil to protect it in case it rained , ( engine cover was off) it sat in the sun all day , at 3 o', clock it cranked WTF? :confused: , it has done this before, and for some reason if i coat it with oil and put in the sun and let it sit... it cranks. what the hell does that mean? i don't think it is a moisture prob. because it does this dry or damp.

5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm pretty sure you mean "It starts" instead of "It cranks" These are two different things.
    Are your plug wires cracked?
    Have you replaced the plugs?
    Is there moisture in the plug boots?

6. midlandlawncare

brand new ngk's , pretty sure boots are dry , and no cracks , its either all or nothing , runs perfect with a turn of the key , or won't start at all, i mean not even a misfire, nothing ... what else can kill the engine instantly by turning the switch off? besides the kill wires on the coil? i mean with those unplugged and the engine running , wouldn't it just run ? how else is the engine turned off? rectifier?

7. midlandlawncare

ideas? anybody? it won't crank today, damn .

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

It's not cranking or not starting?

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

10. midlandlawncare

05 hustler 52 mini z, 322 hrs , honda 24hp v-twin, 671cc, engine fam. 1hnxs. 6712AK