about to submit my first big bid, 9 gas stations HELP ME!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zippoz, Apr 1, 2005.

1. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

im bidding my first big account, for the summer it comes to aobut 12 grand for mowing and trimming, and taking care of the bushes.

most of the locations do not have that much grass and wont require all that much time weekely, but all have lots of edging that needs to be done and an excessive amount of bushes. some with 20+ per station. im bidding about $35 a site on average weekly. is this too much?

thanks

2. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

also if i get this account i will also get 5 more locations in the area to do. my business is basically riding on this and im not sure at all what i should be charging. i did find out that one of the sites i bid $45 on someone else was doing last year for $70 but it had alot of grass, more so tan any other of the sites...

3. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

Don't put all your eggs in one basket...it sucks when you drop the basket and break the eggs. You're charging $ 35.00 per week, per place for full service, or just mowing only? How many cuts do you average in Chicago,28-32?

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Based off the extensive information you gave us and what I can see of the properties, your bid is spot on. I'd submit it and hope for the best. Good luck.

5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

LOL...

I agree.. good luck :)

6. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

sorry allow me to elaborate.
    most of the work will be on the edging. most of the gas stations have 4 or 5 entrances all bordered with grass. most have 20 some evergreen bushes that will need to be done once a month. the amount of grass at the sites is highly variable, and mostly are long strips along sidewalks which leaves a lot to be edged.
    i wish i could give you some pictures, but i dont have a digi cam.
    either way i submitted my bid today. and i think that i will end up getting the properties, but i might have to lower my price somewhat.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

my parents used to own a convenience store that was bought out by a chain. We used to do a lot of convenience stores ( with parent's in the business i had a lot of contacts).

Most stores are allowed $50.00/week unless they have a large property. I would bid higher...

what will kill your time is the trash cleanup. There will be TONS of cigarette butts, cups, wrappers, etc. that you will have to cleanup. You really cannot get away with mowing over them for very long.

the busier the location, the more trash it will have.

also keep in mind that you will have windshield time in these places, and while working there you will have to often stop and wait for a car.

convenience stores are a real pita.

I used to do almost 50 stores ( all the scotchman, jim dandy's, trade mart's, kangaroo's, and handy pantry's)

good money, but a real pain.

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

35 bucks sounds kind of low to me...dunno

9. zippoz

zippoz LawnSite Member

i was kind of hoping to get somewhat of a low bid in. but it seems like i may have gone too low. which is okay with me, if i get those 9 accounts i will end up getting 6 more, and probably end up with a 20k account. and also i have 2 other gas stations that i will probably pick up in the area.

this is my first year going comercial, i used to just do peoples lawns with a 22" and a weed whacker and had 5 semi weekely accounts, and im fine with having just this one account.

i should make one more point, that makes this a much better deal. while snow plowing these same lots this winter i was paid cash on the spot at the time of service. this is part of the price i gave them, that i have to be paid in cash at the time of service. which eliminates quite a few problems

i should know more tomorrow after i get word back from Abdul.... The whole station is operated by people of middle eastern decent. This isnt a porblem for me, im not racist at all. however i am not used to their business customs at all, and how they like to go about things. it is no supprise to me that evey year they have a new plower and landscaper.

another thing. if these are all the accounts i have i may just do all of the work myself. probably taking around an hour for the entire station give or take... or would you recomend that i hire out some of my friends to help?

i should also throw a little in about me. im 21 and going to community college for business and hope to someday be operating a landscaping and snow removal company, among other things.

thanks for the help guys and gals:)

10. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

If you get the bid you'll always have a spot to wiz and get another soda so you can wiz at the next one :dizzy: :D .

I would ask myself how much time you would be spending at each account and base my bid on that. I don't know what the going price is up there. Us southern illinoisians work so cheap we don't have a pot to wiz in LOL. I know up in the big city you guys make some good jack. :cool2: :dizzy: