1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

?? about walk behind mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GracesLandscaping, Feb 23, 2009.

1. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I have never used a walk behind mower and really have never had enough use for one to justify buying one... i have always just used a self propelled push mower. I have some bids in/am going to bid on some pretty large commercial properties this year and a few of them have alot of small areas near the building and "islands" of grass in the parking lots. are walk behinds (such as a 36-48") ideal for that situation? I know nothing about them really, they arent used where i live i ahve only seen one and it was a stander...
  2. GracesLandscaping

GracesLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

and when i said "islands" i mean the type where they are built up off the lots with about 8" of concrete
  3. hondarancher4435

hondarancher4435 LawnSite Senior Member

well i don't know how you would get them up on the island without ramps with a 36" maybe you could put the casters on the curb and lift the back but definately not with bigger WB's

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

You can get walk behinds up curbs, but if there are a lot of curbs I wouldn't recommend it. I have a property with small islands of grass and we use 21" push mowers for these. It's just easier in my opinion.
  5. AmGreen

AmGreen LawnSite Senior Member

If there is enough clearance under your deck, you should be able to back your ztr over the curb onto the island. We always found that to be easier than trying to do the same with a walk behind. Of course this depends on the size of the island as well. As for the small areas along the building; my guys would use a weed eater if the area was less than 21". This was more efficient than going back to the trailer for the 21" mower or the walk behind...
  6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

There is a technique called curb jumping, or curb mounting, but the machines are not light
    so the technique starts to wear a man out after a half dozen or so.