? about winterizer an seed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by grassmannj, Nov 16, 2006.

1. grassmannj

grassmannj LawnSite Member

Im getting ready airate and seed a lawn , but i usually put a winter gaurd down on this lawn at the end of the season. Can i still do that or will it harm the seed?

2. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

The only seed that will germinate this time of year is annual rye and you might even have a problem with that in Jersey.

3. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

grassmannj, you are going to gt some kill from frost. I would winterize and put the seed down when the frost stops and it gets really cold or put it down early next spring.

4. grassmannj

grassmannj LawnSite Member

Dan i took your advice and did not seed, When would be a good time to seed march or April and does that mean i cant put down a pre-emergent.
    Also can i just over seed at that time with a good starter fert. or should i get a seeder?
    Thanks for your help.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

seeding in the spring is not too tricky, i might wait till mid-late April and see how cold it is getting at night. The other trick is going to be getting the grass to pop fairly quickly. You will still be able to put down preemergent, just so long as you aren't doing it right after seeding.
    If you can get a seeder, ie. spiker, brush combo to maybe drive the seed down into the soil to ensure good seed/ soil contact, then do it. follow w/ a good starter fert and lots of water. Not heavy but very frequent, ie. 4 or 5 times a day and then once germination starts, begin to taper off. After germination begins, hit it w/ a heavy organic app. earthworks, milorganite and you will be off and running. This will also help w/ weed control because of less space for weeds to compete in. Hope this helps and good luck.

6. Alot depends on what seed you are using. The sooner it germinates, the better the root system, and the better the chance it has to make it thru the summer. Prolawn is correct in his statement, but you will be suprise at how early seed will germinated if applied this time of year if correct seed to soil contact has been made.

7. tinye

tinye LawnSite Member

you can dormant overseed now, also know as lazy man's seeding. The thawing and freezing of the soil will keep the seed in place till germination