? About Winterizer

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by lawnstriper23, Oct 22, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

Quick question. I stopped in my local Lesco yesterday to pick up a bag of winterizer for my property and the sales rep sold me 24-0-11 50% PPSCU 2FE 1MN. He told me that this is what everybody in my area is using as winterizer. When I got home from Lesco I did spread this on my lawn, but then thought about a calender for fertilizer application that I picked up from Lesco a few months ago. I double checked and the fertilizer that I was sold is not what is considered a winterizer on the calender. The winterizer on the calender is listed as 18-0-18 and not 24-0-11. Why would the sales rep at Lesco sell me the wrong fertilizer? Do I wait a month and get the right fertilizer to put down before the weather starts to get nasty? I am very confused with this one. Anybody have any suggestions on what I should do?

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

After talking to our Tech Services guys, they said that a 24-0-11 is fine for a fall/winterizer app. In fact, they said there's a school of thought that high-nitrogen apps make sense for the fall because that gives the plant plenty of time to take up the N and get the carbohydrates ready for use in the spring. Admittedly, that's not the primary way of thinking, but the key nutrient for fall/winter applications is the K, and so long as you have a 1-to-1 or 2-to-1 ration of N to K then you should be fine.

The guides that we produce are just that - guides, and they are produced for a very large geographic area. Based on local experience, our Service Center personnel may have their own recommendations, which may be the case here.

Let me know if you have further questions or wish to discuss this further. We want to make sure you are a satisfied customer.

Thanks,
    Bob

Thanks,
    Bob

3. lawnstriper23

Kinda makes sense, but my neighbor insists that it a way for the local Lesco to get rid of 2006 stock. Why would Lesco put out a calender with the type of fertilizer and months to apply? I would rather stick with what is in print because I get two conflicting stories between the two Lesco stores that I shop at. One place says to stick with whats in writting and the other doesn't. I just want whats best for my lawn..............

4. jdminnc

jdminnc LawnSite Member

Your analysis is pretty close to the posted recommendation. I would not worry about it. I definitely would not add any more fert this season. Your done.

I have heard the story about trying to run out the inventory, and lets face it, this type of thing happens. It is up to you to decide what in the end to buy. If you believe it is not what you need, don't buy it, your yard will hold on until you find the right analysis. If you are happy with the service, go for it. Next spring, take a look at the turf, and see for yourself.

5. lawnstriper23

Thanks for the insight.....................:rolleyes:

6. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

the thing I see that would bother me( yet, not too bad) is the 50% ppscu, so long as the slow release is released before freeze up and snow you will probably be ok, if we should freeze up ( stop growth) then have snow, I would not like all that N on the turf snow mold just waiting to happen.
    24-0-11 is a good fert. just too bad its slow release.

7. lawnstriper23

Very interesting Stumper in regards to the snow mold comment. That is one of my biggest fears when Spring time rolls around. My father in law got a case of snow mold and not only did it look terrible, it was a pain to get rid of. I hope this fertilizer doesn't come back to bite me in the ass because I will be pissed. I agree with the statement "It is up to you to decide what in the end to buy. If you believe it is not what you need, don't buy it" that somebody else made in an earlier post, but I am not an expert on lawn care and that is why I ask my local Lesco distributor for their assistance.

8. stumper1620

What date did you apply this?
    Unless you get super cold weather or snow before dec.1st you should be alright. I'm sure if we warm up some between now and then you will be alright.are you in northern or southern ohio?

9. lawnstriper23

I am in Northern Ohio right on the lake. I applied it this past weekend on Saturday. I am hearing that we might get some warmer temps in the near future. Lets hope that is true..................

10. stumper1620

I think you'll be fine so long as we don't have winter start in nov. and stay til spring. on and off snow won't hurt, but a long snow cover starting early will be bad.