1. Deere John

Deere John LawnSite Senior Member

Again yesterday, I was scared by my anti-lock brakes. The situation was me trying to stop at an intersection, and the anti-lock kicked in and I stopped 8 feet into the intersection. Speed at the time was less than 8-10 mph when they kicked in.

I call these anti-stop-NOW brakes. There was sufficient traction available to stop the truck IF the anti-stop brakes were not so touchy, and released most of the braking pressure.

My question: Does anyone know of a way to deactivate the system on a temporary basis? Anti-lock works well at higher speeds, but at low speeds, I am sure they become anti-stop brakes. The truck is a 2000 Chev 2500 diesel.

2. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

If it is a 4WD,then putting it in 4WD usually does it,and the 4WD system will actually help the front or rears from locking separatly.Regular anti-lok will not work at all in most 4WD systems.You can also take the ABS fuse out and connect a switch across it (with an inline fuse).

3. cat320

cat320 LawnSite Senior Member

John your not the only one with that problem my '97 does the same thing i could stop better with my '85 than this one and i'm not going very fast either when i have to stop but like you I end up into the intersection rather than stopping before it. These are the worst system that they could of put into the truck besides having to pay more for the truck becuse of them.I think that they shoukld be an option if you want them or not .

4. nsmilligan

nsmilligan LawnSite Member

This is one thing I found with my 98 2500 GMC the worst ABS brakes I've driven. GM seems to have a really slow pluse rate compared to the European systems, Citroen had ABS in the 60's. Must say, one of the positive things about my Dodge 2500HD is the ABS system works much better then GM.

Bill

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Our F-750 has ABS on the air brakes, they work great. Maybe its just the Chevy's. Be thankful, the brakes on our 1 ton Dodge don't work good anytime. We have disconnected the rear anti-locks and it still didn't help.

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Gm's abs is the worst,my 95 blazer's sytem is so lethargic,it should be illegal to sell.It pulses so slow and reacts like its in slow motion.My old 84 s10 woiuld stop so much faster without ABS in the same conditions.The ABS also has no feel whatso ever to it,just a spongy numb pedal.If mt ABS goes out,Im yanking the whole unti and converting to the mid eightys propotioning valve and old style master cyl.I also have a 94 Chrysler town and country AWD mini-van the ABS is outstanding,the pedal is firm and hasd feel,the abs is quick and quickly restores full braking the instant you regain traction.My 96 Ram's ABS was way better than my uncles 96 Chevy too.I hope the new HD's are better.The GM systems with 4 wheel ABS ,the abs works in 4wd too,the RWAnti-lock system cuts off the abs in 4 wd.

7. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

I had a '95 Grand Am that had the "slow pulse rate" you guys are talking about. But... my '96 K1500 has awesome ABS brakes. They pulse REALLY fast! It does a good job of stopping me pretty quick.

-Tim

8. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

I to am very pleased with my ABS on my 98 3500 and I like them.In fact they have helped me on more than one occasion.
    Most people have a tough time just pushing the pedal, they think they have to help the abs by pushing the pedal repeated times, and that lengthens the stopping distance.
    Most here know better than that.
    I think gm had a recall on the s series abs a few years back.
    Dino

9. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

"Must say, one of the positive things about my Dodge 2500HD is the ABS system works much better then GM."

Then you would be shocked to know that the GM and Dodge pickups share the same brake system-yep, check out the Dodge real close, Delco stamped on everything, even front pads and rear wheel cylinders interchange with comparable Chevy/GM truck.

The thing folks dont realize is that ABS doesnt necessarily shorten stopping distances, rather it keeps the wheels turning so you continue to have control over where the vehicle can be steered.

10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

Too bad Chrysler can't make them work decent on every truck. Our 1 ton the pedal feels mushy all the time (went through three sets of pads in the first 21K), our 3/4 ton has a great pedal and no problems, our 1/2 ton is right in the middle. Some of our competitors had the same thing, one of their 1 tons had decent feel to the pedal, the other was just like ours, mushy and to the floor.