absolutly the best stick edger ever ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onboard2, Feb 13, 2002.

1. onboard2

onboard2 LawnSite Member

I'm looking for a stick edger for the sharpest looking edges on the block. Weight , ease of use , finished results , reliabilty all come into play. Which one would you guys buy ?
    I've used string trimmers for edges before and they work great, but I am after the deep pristine edges. Anybody got pictures ?

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use RedMax, they are the nicest i've ever used.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I use a Husky, but it's kind of on the weak side. Have to check which engine it has, but it bogs down if trying to cut an edge that hasn't been cut before.
    So I got a walk behind to do initial edges, then usually use string trimmer to touch up as needed.
    Rarely use the stick edger now.

4. The best is a weed eater with the string at 90 degrees to the ground.

I had a stick edger but it's too slow.

I have a push edger but it is even slower.

Now those vibrating edgers are great but not in a stick form like you want.

5. Chuck Sinclair

Chuck Sinclair LawnSite Senior Member

I use the biggest one ECHO makes 32cc i think and i love it!!

6. WLC

WLC LawnSite Member
    from NE TN

Shindaiwa........ching......chang......chong.........LE-260........Daniel-son.

At least when your dealer assembles the dang thing right, What a bucket-lip!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I can offer the other suggestion. The new Stihl FC85 is awesome. I used it all last season with real good results. And in my area, bermuda grows over the sidewalks weekly. Stick edger made edging for me go much much faster.

8. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

In my opinion, an Echo trimmer with an Edgit attachment is the only way to go for small properties. Be sure to edge with it following Edgit's instructions. To do a lot of edging at one time, a Tanaka wheeled edger is the least tiring.

9. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Edging with a string trimmer looks awful; makes it look like all you are concerned about is getting it done quickly. I agree with Chuck Sinclair; the Echo PE 3100 is the one to use. It is a bit heavy, but when used with the double thick blade, well worth it.

10. lamblawnscaping

lamblawnscaping LawnSite Member

I like the shidiawa LE-260. We have 2 of them. Our first year we edged with a trimmer at 90 degrees and there are certian spots where we still do. These spots are usually the real scraggely spots that even after edging with a stick edger they look bad. On nice turf that stands upright the stick edger is the only way to go. Shindiawa makes very good products. They are a little expensive though.