1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Absurd price?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fyshstykr, Oct 27, 2006.

1. fyshstykr

fyshstykr LawnSite Member
    from zone 99

Take a look at this property.

This guy called and wanted a bid for a one time mow/fall clean up for his rental property. He was a new customer, I went the day he called to look at it and called him while I was still there - could have done it then.

This is my first year in business, I figured it was going to take the 2 of us about 4 hours, plus a haul and dump fee. I was going to provide complete mow, trimming, rose bushes trimmed, grass cleaned out of chain link fencing and picked up and hauled away. So based on $30 per man hour, I bid this at $225.

The guy told me that price was absurd, he would never pay that and hung up on me. (If he thought I was overpriced, he should have just stated that, hanging up was not necessary - unprofessional business exchange in my opinion.) So over a week later, it's still not cleaned up, I felt good about my bid, maybe even under bid it a bit. Seeing that it's still not done.....obviously he can't find anyone else to give him any bid that's not "absurd." :confused:

What's your opinion? Was $225 in line or was it low? Just trying to learn from my experience, I can't give my services away, but I want to stay in business, too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
    fysh

2. JRSlawn

JRSlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I think your price was right on if not a little cheap. This guy is probably looking for a highscholl kid to come in and do the work for $25.00. Oh well you win some and you lose some. Good Luck

3. lawnguyland

lawnguyland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that house is worth $225

I also think that that I could do what you described by myself in 2 hrs, max, though it might be hard to tell from the pics. I don't think your price is absurd at all and that guy is a doofus, but I think I could do it a lot faster than that. Of course I've got 20+ years of experience on ya!

Here's a tip- run away from rentals, especially those that llok like that.

4. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Well, based upon your estimate of time(8 man hours), your price was too low, especially if it included the dump fee.

That being said, It should only take 2 guys around 2-3 hours max to do that property. I did one VERY similar(in size and overgrowth) back in july, and by myself it took me just over 1.5 hours including edging a nastily-overgrown sidewalk with a crappy edger.

5. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Do not feel bad about that bid at all. If we were competing for the job, you would have beat me.:)

6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing is for sure...your price isnt too high. But yea...tell him to get a neighborhood kid with a 21 to do it for 25 bucks. What was he expecting??? He actually told you "that's absurd"??? Yet another example of people who think we do this for fun and don't have a family to feed. You're better off with out him. Someone says that about my price....I could care less...because I dont do this for my health. And I'll walk away as fast as I walked up.

7. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I like that :drinkup:

:weightlifter:

8. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

I also think that you're a little high on the time BUT NOT on the price.

Did you explain to him in detail what you were going to do before giving him the price? I've always found it difficult to price a job like that without the customer being there. For instance maybe he's thinking to just knock down the grass and even just leave it lying there.

9. StumpBuster

StumpBuster LawnSite Member

EXCELLENT point, MowerMoney. :clapping:

10. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I don't want to be the odd one out but I guess I am. I would think that price was absurd also. First of all I would never believe that would take 8 man hours to do! I would estimate that yard taking 3 hours max w/me working solo. That said I think an estimate of around $100 would be much more reasonable. Now I don't know what kind of equipment you are using, but if you think it will take that long to do then you might think about upgrading on some tools. Just my opnion.