Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Movinfr8, Sep 13, 2003.

1. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Was wondering about cutting abandoned residentials with the 36 w/b. about knee high bermuda/weeds. Would this be too much for the 15 Kohler? what blades would you recomend? Any other advice on cutting deep grass?
    Thanks in advance,
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sorry for the delay.

You'll want to run the low lift blade but first walk the property very thoroughly. You're not going to find everything that may be hiding in the yard but every little bit helps.

Keep in mind your trying to brush hog with a finish mower. Bad things can happen when a blade spinning at 18,500 fpm hits the old car starter that’s hidden in the weeds or the water shut off etc.

If you’re going to take the job use a low lift blade. The low lift blade will not only free up some horsepower but it will not lift as much "junk" into the path of the blade. The cut won't be anything to brag about but it wouldn't be with a high lift either.

I would also recommend cutting it as high as possible and then walking the property again before lowering the deck. That way with a little luck you’ll find any nasty stuff that’s hiding in there.

This really isn't the mower for this type of job but it happens. Just be alert, watch for hidden objects and make sure the job is profitable.

3. colonel landscaping

colonel landscaping LawnSite Member

hm.. i go to post a thred but it dont show up... strange
  4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'll add to make sure you're not pushing the mower too hard. I burned out a blade brake clutch on another make mower and also popped a deck belt trying to mow someone's weed patch once too often with a 14hp wb. So that one became a money loser for that season.

If you have access to a ZTR with a max height cut of maybe 5" I'd try that first.
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Sorry for the delay on your post. I don't find anything in this thread that is pending. You may want to re-post.