Accelerator Catcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mr DanO, Mar 21, 2004.

1. Mr DanO

Mr DanO LawnSite Member

:confused: I looked at an accelerator catcher the other day at a dealer, are they all that badly welded and bent up. It looked like they had 8 year old kids doing the fabracation and welding. For the price they where asking i would expect some nicer welds and smoother bends.

2. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I have to admit that when I got my accelerator I was less than impressed with the appearance of it's construction. However we have used it for about 6 months now, and it has held up fine. I hate to admit it but my mowing guys are pretty tough on equipment so I guess its construction is fine.

3. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Some of the welds are a little sloppy but none have broken & the catchers have held up to heavy abuse including smashing against solid objects while mowing.

4. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys using them, how do they pack grass and do you find them better than cloth catchers for sucking up leaves(with high lift blades)

5. workaholic

workaholic LawnSite Senior Member

Has anyone used the accelerator xxl 6.2 c.u f.t size on ztr mowers? do they pack well? how expensive are they?

6. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

Do you want a catcher that looks beautiful or performs beautifully? Form follows function. I have an Accelerator and it was one of my best purchases....Period.

For those of you asking how they pack or perform with grass/ leaves, I use mine for both. It packs tight due to exceptional airflow. That is either with grass or leaves. It was a huge time saver during leaf season. I used double blades during leaf season.Shreads the leaves better. I have the XL Accelerator.

7. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Spoke to one of the local landscape supply company's about the accelerator for my 48" hydro WB Scag. First thing he asked was "do you have employees?" I looked at him funny and said no, why? In a nutshell he says if you take care of them they will work great, if you have employees that beat the crapola out of your equipment it's not worth the 300 bucks.

My only other concern would be quality of cut. If I can actually load that thing up the brim with grass clippings, that's a lot of weight on one side of the mower. Does it affect the quality of the cut, like when you hit a bump in the lawn does the side with the bag dive in and scalp it? Just curious if anyone has had this happen to them.

8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

"My only other concern would be quality of cut. If I can actually load that thing up the brim with grass clippings, that's a lot of weight on one side of the mower. Does it affect the quality of the cut, like when you hit a bump in the lawn does the side with the bag dive in and scalp it? Just curious if anyone has had this happen to them"

I use my XL on a 36" Exmark floating deck mower and no matter how full the catcher gets, it never tilts the deck or mower. I had this same concern myself initially. Peter at Accelerator assured me that this would not be a problem and he was correct.

9. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

Thanks!! My concern wouldn't be the quality of build, but rather the quality of cut. I'm assuming with a 48" I'd be even better off due to a wider stance. I might be looking into one of these in the near future.

10. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

the XL's around here run $499.00