accelerator vs agri-fab vac

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dwbarg, May 1, 2007.

1. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

I need some advice on which to buy. I have been wanting something to save me some time getting up pine straw and leaves etc. I was leaning toward buying an accelerator catcher XL model to use with my 52" Fastrak. Then I found a pull vac I can buy used for about the same price as new accelerator catcher. I know as for as ease of use and matainence the accelerator would win hands down. The agri fab vac would win as for as less dumping goes. I would also be using it for some grass clippings ( I guess accelerator wins here too). I have about 1 1/2 acres. I am currently using a pull behind sweeper and dumping then loading by hand in a trailer and hauling off. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

On smaller lawns, say up to .4 acre, I use the Accelerator with extender on a small wb. I can't say enough good about the Accelerator. It is close to bulletproof.

On larger lawns I use a garden tractor and a Cyclone Rake vacuum that really gets the leaves up and packs them dense -- but as an esteemed member here has warned, it is like driving a school bus thru an obstacle course.

Truth is, I have not learned how to make leaves easy yet.

The Fastrak is a great little Z, but I don't know about pulling a vac with it, especially when it gets close to full. I think you have the IZT hydros (good, but not commercial) and you would be at some risk of overheating them. You might run the idea by your dealer or factory rep. I think you can get a front blade for plowing snow with the Fastrak, but you got the weather helping cool the hydros for that.

I haven't run into a lot of pine straw, but have been told that using a front dethatcher will loosen it so the deck can pick the straw up.

3. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a cyclone rake, it is great. I also have a agri fab tow behind sweeper and that thing picks up everything, I mean everything, even pine needles. Craftsman also makes a sweeper as well..

4. dwbarg

dwbarg LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replys. I think I am going with the accelerator. It is cheaper and nothing to pull and less to keep up:ie another engine.