1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

accent boulders

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by snap12.5, Dec 6, 2004.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

anyone with experience setting large accent boulders??? is it better to use flatter boulders or round ones??? what about groupings??? are there any books that you guys recommend that could show me some ideas???
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

I like using boulders in my landscapes. I almost always try to incorporate boulders as an accent, while a few other installs I've done the boulders have actually been more of the landscape theme.

IMO, using boulders, and making them look natural is one of the most difficult things to do. I usually partially bury the rocks so that they don't look as though they've simply been placed where they are sitting.

When using lots of boulders/rocks, I've found, and has been pointed out to me here, the use of small or immature plants will contribute to an unnatural look -- the rocks can overpower the small plantings.

I don't know of any books, but I'm sure there are some out there. I should prolly look into that as well.
  3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Here's some good constructive criticism given to me on landscape I did with lots of boulders.