accept credit cards or not

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawn dogg, Jan 22, 2008.

1. lawn dogg

lawn dogg LawnSite Member

looking for input about accepting credit cards in the field does it add enough additional sales to pay for itself , looking at different programs trying to decide to do or not.

2. mpickel

mpickel LawnSite Member

I don't, I don't do enough transactions to make it worth the minimum $45/mo in fees. If you have a website, there are a few free programs you can use that customers can pay that way.

3. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

You need a different processor. Our plan through our bank has a $5.00 per month fee.
    Doug

4. mpickel

mpickel LawnSite Member

I agree, shop around. Either have a relationship with them or do research. I went with a small independent company, and when I tried to process my first credit card they accused me of fraud because the amount was over $1,000.00 and they thought that was too much for a landscape company and made all sorts of accusations.

Then I checked into my bank and a few of the larger processors. They all wanted $5/mo statement fees, $15/mo wireless terminal access and $25 minium processing fee. Plus 3% + $0.25 per transaction.

I only had one customer paying by credit card, so at that time it wasn't right for me.

5. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

As far as mowing goes, CC's were not a big draw when I first started accepting them. For a few years I'd have 3-5 customers paying this way, and I was about to drop CC's altogether. But I had 5 or 6 chronic slow-payers and I had the thought to force them to pay by CC or go elsewhere, all but one accepted my terms.

Then I got to thinking I should just require all new customers to pay this way. It's worked out great. This year ALL customers will have to pay by CC with us.

6. blueplate

blueplate LawnSite Member

I'm new to the forum and I want to be careful to not break any rules. I use a product that is perfect for low volume. It's $29.00 setup $6.99/mo, 2.35% + .75 a transaction. You use your cell phone, no equipment, no miimum, no contracts so you can cancel at anytime. I do about 4 cards a month, seems worth it.

7. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Blueplate please pm me with the details. Thanks

8. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

If you can, PM me the info as well. I talked with a local woman here about it. No equipment, just call through the cell phone and punch in the numbers. BUT it was 4%+. If she can get the percentage down I will do it. The monthly fee was less than $25.

By the way Blueplate, I was just in Westfield visiting my family. I was born there and lived there and Easthampton until I was 9 in 1980.

9. haybaler

haybaler LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

yes please let us know who you use. I think you need to have over 10 post to be able to PM. I'm not very far from you.

10. EJD Lawnpride

EJD Lawnpride LawnSite Senior Member

Can blueplate just say the name of the company or is he not allowed to?