1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Accept Credit Cards....Yaaa or Neaa?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by RwADesigner, Dec 17, 2002.

1. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

Those of you who accept credit cards as payment, when you started this service did you see an increase in business or income?

Would you recommend it?
  2. No real increase in business after offering cards, though I have noticed big part of maintenance work over $200 for a single job goes on cards.
    We have about 25% of mow customers paying by CC.
    Instead of dropping a slow payer you can offer them the option of paying by credit card.

I would recommend it for all LCOs. Talk to your bank and see what they can do for you.
  3. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

I was seriously thinking about, even PM a few memebers to see wha they thought. Then I decided to wait til my website is full functionable. 3 installs bids were turned down because they wanted to pay with c/c. So now I'm kinda rethinking it..........again.
  4. boohoo

boohoo Banned
    from USA

Nothing beats having customers pay with money they dont have. Credit cards also give your business credibility especially for new start ups.
  5. devildog

devildog LawnSite Senior Member
    from sc

Yes we did start three years ago and found a increase in the Biz as a result. Very useful if you have a job which you need at the time, but the client can't handle deposit / final. Your local bank is a place to start, however you will most likely find they are not competitive with the smaller banks across the US, who specialize in small biz accounts. Don't make the mistake of using the internet and your email address to get info, I did and within weeks my inbox was filled with CC offers from spammers and continued for months. Use the phone to contact those you find on the internet. Contact as many as you can (stand). We're happy with our provider (their in the mid-west) the few times we've had a problem it was resolved (w/ phone call) ASAP.

Your set-up costs are not that bad (3-500.) machine / set-up (by their rep. on-site) and supplies. Typically set-up on your fax line, batch posting done at night by the provider. $'s are in your acct within 3 working days. Your fee cost depend on the bank & CC company and your monthly volume.

Everybodys biz ops are different, thus I can't say it will benefit you, however, if you AR has been in the 30 day range, it will help
    in management of the cash flow problems. There is not a piece of paper that leaves our office that does not have the CC logos on it. But only you can do the cost/benefit eval, to see if it fits in. With Regards... devildog
  6. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I started taking them this year so I could bet a couple jobs on base. It was the only way they could pay me.

One of the very first calls I took from a prospective resi customer after getting CC, they asked if I took CC. I was so surprised, initially I forgot and told them I did not take CC. Kinda funny, they said they could not use me unless I did take CC. I snapped out of my haze and told them I could take CC and I got the job.

Since then several of my regular contracted customers have switched to paying automatically by CC. It's worked for me.

I really think there comes a time where you need to take them before you can grow anymore. I'm glad I started.
  7. RwADesigner

RwADesigner LawnSite Member

How expensive is the start up cost of such and operation?

Im going to bank tomorrow bright and early

Seasons Greetings
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Dont they charge 2%-5% for each transaction. I think I have heard this, but not sure.

9. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

Started this year.

Machine was 295.00.

I accept Visa/MC/AX Cost is 10.00 per month.

Charge 3% for each transaction.

I really have seen an increase in business. It was a must for one of my new accounts (commercial account) that is the only way they do business. Had two lanscape installs ask about CC before I got terminal.
  10. Equipguy

Equipguy LawnSite Senior Member

We use credit cards for residential customers,Master/Visa. We suggest every one pay this way and about 90% do so. If you want to pay by check we must have it by the 5th of each month for service to continue that month and we DO NOT send and invoice.

It save hours of billing hassles, stamps, envelopes and you get your money within 48 hrs of charging the account. We have the customer sign an authorization for monthly billing and swipe the card the first visit. We should have done it years ago. And yes, it has incresed our business especially for the design and install.
    Good Luck!