Acceptable methods for debris disposal

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Stroker, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

I will be mulching the slash on a patch of land that was recently logged. After the logging a couple of 100+ year old tobacco barns have become an eye sore on the property and the people would like me to tear them down. These people are looking for the cheapest way possible to dispose of these barns. Hauling them away is ofcourse my favorite option. But would burying the debris or perhaps burning, then burying be an option?

Just incase you don't know. This is a tobacco barn. These old structures are all over central and eastern North Carolina.

http://www.barbaraarcher.com/artists/guineahens/img/mtruett03.jpg

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

burn them would be the cheapest then bury them...burying the entire barn would require a huge hole and would settle too much when the wood decomposes

check with your local rules/laws about it before you do it though

3. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Stroker....you are sitting on a gold mine and you don't know it. There are folks in your area who will gladly pay you to take the barn down. This wood is being used in Aspen, Colorado.......Telluride, Colorado......Sun Valley, Idaho....where ever there is big money being spent on custom homes ( and they are still spending!). There are "barn guys" who specialize in dismantling these things.....check the web or phone book and don't let this money slip through your fingers.........

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

yeah what rock said, we're working on a house w/ reclaimed timbers and EVEN BRICKS! and they pay a premium.

5. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I guess it depends on where you are. Burning them would be illegal in Texas. What about recycling the wood or grinding it up?

6. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Burning or burying the wood is probally ilegall.
    Haul them away or have the wood reclaimed.
    The wood is very valuble if still usable.

7. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Stroker.......do a web search on "old barn salvage"......I did it and came up with all sorts of salvage folks......maybe if you did it, you could find someone local to do the ditty.....heck, you may even find yourself a new niche market to make some coinage in.....

8. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Reclaimed wood is big money especially if it has old beams. There are lots of people out there want that old wood. If its not salvageable then let the volunteer firedept have at it for fire practice.