1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Acceptible Estimating Vehicle

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 21, 2012.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Now that's what I'm talking about. Still no different then a 4 banging nissan sitting low to the ground though.

2. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Just in my opinion unless you are a huge company that can justify having a gofer then use a truck. You will be able to use the truck for a lot more than the car. For me it is hard to justify spending around(don't wuote me) 12-15k for a gofer, I would rather just keep my personal truck that is lettered looking clean and professional. I don't know though this is one of the best/trickiest questions I have come acrossed in a long time.

3. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

I used to do estimates in the lexus es300 i had but swapped back to using the trucks because 99% of the people would make some sort of comment about the car as soon as i'd get out. I think for them they assumed i was too expensive, When in reality it was only like a 15k dollar used Lexus when i bought it. I think people don't like to see the landscaper get out of a nicer car then they drive.

4. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

It's funny, when I sold for a company in Phoenix my boss was all excited when I sold my S-10 and bought a 2500HD diesel. He really thought people would take me more seriously if I showed up in a truck. Now, I roll up in a Subaru Forester. I don't think it has any bearing on my sales success and I can fit everything I need in there. Samples, transit, measuring tools, catalogs, paint, stakes, and I can even jam ten 5-gal plants in the hatch if I have to. I'll take 26-28 mpg with unleaded over 16 mpg with my diesel any day.

5. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

6. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

I show up in an E-350 Super Duty passenger van as a landscape architect. I'm not a contractor selling design/build, though. The only comment I ever got was "how many kids do you have?". ... one.

7. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

I've shown up for an estimate on my mountain bike before. I don't think it really matters as long as you have a portfolio to show them your work and equipment.

8. crazymike

crazymike LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Most clients don't care about equipment. Maybe it's different showing up by bicycle....

Clients don't know the difference between a john deere garden tractor, a $17,000 72" ZTR. A skidsteer is a skidsteer to them.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

If you show up on a bike you'd better have some pictures to show you're equipped to handle the job, lol.

10. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

I can't even imagine if I rode a bike to someone's house. "MOM! There's a big fat guy dripping on the front porch!"