accepting ACH payments from customer bank account?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Feb 26, 2007.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I figure this is a newbie question...I did a search and didn't find anything...I've read a lot about Credit Card payments from customers, but didn't know if any of you have set up ACH payments through the customers bank accounts? For those of you that have monthly payments that are automatically deducted from your checking account know what I am talking about...I reckon I will just ask the bank when I set up my account next week. I just wanted some thoughts on this.

I know with credit card payments there is a % fee that you must pay, but didn't know about ACH through your bank...just curious.
  2. JeffW0011

JeffW0011 LawnSite Member

I can give you some more info later in the day. I have a meeting with a guy that handles credit card systems and ACH debits from my bank later this PM. I have planned on setting up ACH capabilities from the get go. Everybody does it to me these days so why not. Plus I think it's convienient for the customers and makes it easier to get paid. If it gets to complicated to go that route for some reason I am definetly setting up to take credit cards and will try to persuade my customers to set up auto credit card billing with me, I will probably even offer a slight discount to those who do....say 5%, even though credit cards cost a small between 1-2% generally, I would think it would be worth a 6 or 7% loss to assure payment...I don't think ACH has a fee to use but I am not sure. Will find out at 2PM though.
  3. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

I saw where paypal offers an invoicing service. You create an invoice template and send it to your customers. They charge up to 2.9% + $0.30 per transaction. Something to look into I guess.