accepting cc cards= more business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 8, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

a guy i know is just starting in the lawn business. he wants to get as many clients, as fast as he can. i was thinking.....would he get more work if he was set up to accept credit cards? after all, people live on these things, they buy everything on plastic, do you think he could gain clientelle alot faster by accepting credit cards?

2. Gnyus

Gnyus LawnSite Member
    from Canada

Personnaly, I would not even try it... it must be a lot of trouble to get the necessary installation for credit card (note I might wrong on that). I've always been working with cash/check and it's find for me.
    Plus there would not be much of a different in the number of customer he'd get if he offered it

3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

why not? people are more likely to buy something, if they were broke, but could charge it. the set up fee is $800 i believe

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

not hard to setup , fairly easy to get..... in certain markets that has to be the way to go... younger urban crowd...

all my old people would probably not go for it, but in the right enviroment, has got to be an advantage

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Cost to start up less than $100 and its a great way to make additional sales when your already there. Plus you can do on line billing. For installations I've made a few k in just the upsells because they could "just put it on the card" and have it done immediatly.

6. wojo23323

wojo23323 LawnSite Senior Member

very easy to set up with quickbooks. There might be a small application fee, but that's it. accepting credit cards did not increase customer base very much except with a fast food chain. They like to pay with AMEX. I charge their card once a month for each store and the money is in my account in 3 days. By accepting AMEX I picked up 13 of the 25 area resaurants. 12 to go.

7. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Credit cards are not hard set up, and the up-front fees are minor. Numerous times because we take a card, a lawn reseeding, turned into a complete landscape renovation.
    The clientele we deal with puts a lot importance on convenience, the card is convenient, and itÂ’s just so easy to put it on the card ,and worry about paying later lol.

8. Meg-Mo

Meg-Mo Inactive

We take cc all the time as that is the way thing are going. We are set up with a co. that gives about 1 1/2 % better rates you can get most any place else. If there is any one wanting to know how just call us on our toll free no.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't accept them. In 11 years, I have had zero number of people ask me if I accept them. Go figure...

10. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, also don't forget that if you accept credit cards, you really don't have to worry about some dickhead not wanting to pay up :cool2: