1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Accepting Credit Cards..Who do you use?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by dmc456, Dec 5, 2004.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

For those of you accepting credit cards, who are you using and what rates are you paying for each transaction as well as any other fees.
  2. PLM-1

PLM-1 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have heard that some people use paypal? How many do that? I would be curious how that works for lawncare.
  3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a search I did as I am looking into the acceptance of cc cards also.

Go through the posts and find the ones offered by the LGDA, pro pay and others. The members who posted have given the web addresses with their posts.
  4. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for your help,but the link does not work.

My intension for this post is to provide a short list of people that think they are getting the best deal out there for accepting credit cards. I don't want to debate why, who, what, etc... We can do that on other posts and it has been done.

I just want to find the best deal and share the information.

Thanks for you help in advance.
  5. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

the only problem with paypal is that it's one more hoop your customers have to jump through to pay you in that they have to sign-up for an account.
  6. AllStarLawnCare

AllStarLawnCare LawnSite Member

It is no longer required for customers with a credit card to sign up for paypal when using it. If you have a limited number of customers, this is probably the way to go - also, you can set up your paypal account to enter your customers cc info and they never even have to use the internet. The problem is you better be shredding your trash or your liable for stolen cc numbers, but its a good way to charge a cc without having point-of-sale software or requiring them to have internet access.

If you are a large company try the bank that you have your business account with, some do merchant accounts.
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

thanks for the correction, allStar. i was unaware of the change and is a great thing to know.

tony (who hates to waste his 200th post on a mea culpa :) )
  8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

I use paypal, customers don't have to be members, and can also use their bank accounts along with credit cards. But if you have a large amount of customers paying with credit cards I would use quickbooks software to run them, its an added fee but its pretty minimal (don't know exact amount) compared to the convenience of getting paid quickly.
  9. TLM

TLM LawnSite Member

I use QB for all my invoicing and I e-mail all my invoices. QB will let your customers pay on-line if you have a merchant account set up by QB. About 60% of my customers pay this way. It's easy for me and the love how easy it is.
  10. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

I looked into several options including paypal, but found that propay works best for me.

Propay sets an account up for you for a very small fee and you can accept credit cards online for a small % fee per transaction. Also, you can pay another small fee (like $30.00 or so) and have the capability of phoning credit card payments in right there at your customers house in the same manner as you would do it online. Just fill out the invoice with everything after it's been approved and it's a done deal.

Easiest/least expensive way to do this IMO.

Can't wait to start using them this Spring!