Accepting credit cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lawnman_scott, Apr 25, 2005.

1. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

For those of you that take credit cards, what companies do you use, and are there any large setup fees?

2. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I just started to accept them this year. I signed up in Feb. and the special they had waived the fee. I think it was 195.00. We went thru Leaders and were real good in helping you get started. At the end of this month we will do our first charges. The account exec. suggested using Visa, MC, Discover and Amex. This is our first time offering them and about 15 clients gave us a number to keep on file. About a third of them use Amex. They gave us a REAL good rate. We also have check service so we can use that if necessary, most likely for one time clients. You pay for that if you use it. I almost forgot we got a refurbished machine and only paid the shipping. Hope this helps. If I can answer anything else , let me know. Matt

3. GrassMasterNC

GrassMasterNC LawnSite Member

we don't have a lot of credit card payers, but on occasion, there will be a slew of them...only a handful pay every month by credit card, and a few one-timers pay right after the service is complete. Since we don't use them heavily, I use propay - they are great and very easy to use...I can call in a credit card from my cell phone on their front porch - takes 2 minutes and it's done. Can alos process them online when doing monthly invoicing....very inexpensive and it certainly gives us an edge. You have a few options to use and sign up for...I simply use the 500.00 per day, 3000.00 per month option - but am thinking about upgrading it to the next level for install jobs.

Matt