1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Accepting Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Mar 1, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I just wanted to post the results of my first few credit card sales. I just got approved by my merchant services company to accept credit cards last week and haven't even had time to figure out how to operate the software.

But last week was my monthly billing. I had to send three certified letters to customers who were seriously past due. The letter threatened small claims court. In that letter, I explained that if the non-payment was a simple over sight on their part, and if they wanted to continue with our service, that a valid credit card would need to be left on file. Much to my amazement, two days after I mailed this nasty letter, one of the no-pay customers called. She thought she had payed with on-line bill pay. She apologized and gave me a credit card number. Not only did the credit card allow me collect the past due balance, it allowed me to save a customer.

Later that day, I got a call from a guy who wanted my weed control service. I went out there and met with him. Anyway, I'm pleased to report this guy had no problem in giving me his credit card number.

Then again today, another customer decided to sign up for weed control service. She too has no problem giving me her credit card number.

I just can't explain how good it feels not worrying about whether a new customer will be good about paying or if they'll pay at all. It just feels great.

I was actually a little scared that people wouldn't want to give their credit card number to a small business like mine. So far, it hasn't been a problem at all.

DFW Area Landscaper
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Good post about the pros of using cc's. Never thought of it that way. What kind of charges do you have to pay, and is it really worth it? Will you pass those charges on to your customers?

3. MLL

MLL LawnSite Member
    from Houston

Having a credit card machine might get you the job because the other guys do not have one. It also has an imact on how potential customers percieve you. You must be a professional, right. I have had mine for about a year, and I just wish I would have done it sooner.
  4. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

The cost is $9.95 per month, 25 cents per transaction and 2.29%. That's far lower than the 8% I failed to collect in 2003.

I wish I wouldn't have underestimated the peace of mind that you get with knowing that your customer isn't going to stiff you. The fees are cheap by comparison.

I won't be passing those charges on to my customers. I think it's illegal to charge customers who pay by credit card more than those who don't.

DFW Area Landscaper
  5. GreenTurf

GreenTurf LawnSite Member
    from NJ

here is a site you can make transaction with your cell phone, and print up a receipt from a printer that attaches to your cell phones.
    not sure how compareable prices are.

6. American LawnScapes

American LawnScapes LawnSite Member

I started taking CC this year and I have already picked up 3 extra Pre-Pays for Mowing. 1 Pre-Pay paid for the CC charges for this year. Plus a landscape job that was $1200 went to $3500 because the customer could put it on her CC. So Far So Good!
  7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi DFW Area Landscaper,

Great work.
  8. Clark Landscaping

Clark Landscaping LawnSite Member

those credit card prices sound really good, where did you get them? I checked into quickbooks credit card but they wanted $19.95 per month. I really need a credit card acceptance so if you have any additional advice I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
  9. Jim H

Jim H LawnSite Member

Details, Details DFW. Name of company? Website? Phone number? Much appreciated!!
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Bump to the top!